Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Feeling selfish

As I slowly climb out of post-chemo, I'm feeling a bit selfish. I've concentrated on me, me, me so much that I block almost everyone else out. I'm not sure I can help myself, because it takes so much darn energy to heal, get chemo and deal with the side effects, but it certainly doesn't make me feel like a good person.

I feel the fog lifting (again) and I can once again see the world around me. I notice my wonderful husband, who sits beside me while I whine and moan. He takes over the household, cares for the kids, rubs my back, gets me Tylenol and checks on my condition. In return, he gets little response and lethargic thanks.

I am grateful for the consistent company and unfailing spirit of my sister, who sits through the six hours of chemotherapy with me, providing snacks and encouragement. She also calls and emails me regularly, and puts up with my chemo funks.

I thank God for the resilience of my kids who seem to be going with the flow and understand when I get weepy from treatment and have little energy to share with them. I'm lucky they're at an age where they're fairly self sufficient. But Noah also needs my help and attention because of his bipolar diagnosis and I often don't have the energy or patience to deal with it. Hopefully, I'll be able to concentrate more on helping him after I get through the rest of my treatments.

And again, I'm thankful to the friends and family who make up my village. You who check on me (even when I'm grumpy and bad about responding), provide food, child care, prayers and support in its many forms. I know I'm not a good friend/wife/sister/daughter right now. I am thankful for your tolerance and patience.

During my appointment with the social worker last week, she reinforced one of my thoughts. I'd rather be fighting cancer - as crappy as it is - than watch someone I love go through this. While I don't have a lot of control, I can fight, complain and deal with the treatment. I feel like I'm doing something. Others around me can only watch, worry and wish they could help. I know others would willingly take part of this burden to make it easier for me - and I thank your good intentions.

So thank you for your unselfish support from your selfish friend,
Tina

6 comments:

  1. Where else would I rather spend my time. Remember that day where they said " will you take this person through sick and...". You have been there for me through my operations. How can I not be beside you caring for you? I love you forever no matter what life throws at us. As Marc Cohn sang the words that are engraved on our wedding rings. TRUE COMPANION.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - you feel "selfish"?!?! Are you nuts?!!?!? I make lame, sad attempts at humor on your blog, and yet you still find it in your heart to send me a message to thank me. THAT is true compassion.
    :)
    You are TRULY AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember the night you came by after telling your parents that you had cancer and we laid on my bed having 'girl time' while the guys sat out in the livingroom? Remember how I told you that I wasn't crying because of the thought that you would die, it was because of all the crap you would have to go through before it was over? This is the crap... exactly what you're dealing with,,, this is the crap Tina. You are your villages' leader,, we all look to you for your daily blog, the good, bad and the ugly (aka chemo farts !!) We sit on the sidelines and pray for the speedy recovery from your treatments, your surgery and your pain, and even though you go through the crap of daily cancer pain, you still have time to write your blogs every morning for us..
    SELFISH??? hmmm somehow that word doesn't conjure up thoughts of you in any way.
    ps,, have you noticed that there are 48 in your blog village??? i'm sure there are hundreds associated with those 48.. you are not alone in this honey...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I can't even post a comment after reading Michael and Diane's post!

    You are definitely the most UNSELFISH person I have met...and I would certaintly know that...since we lived together!!

    Hang in there, my friend....take good care of yourself. There will be a lifetime for you to pamper others!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Selfish? I don't think so. I'd never, ever, ever use that adjective to describe you. Taking care of yourself is never selfish.....

    Love,
    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tina,

    I do think it is harder for the caregivers than the person with cancer because at least we as cancer people are doing something ... whereas others aren't.

    I wish we could just wish it all away.

    Daria

    ReplyDelete