Friday, August 7, 2009

An advantage?

Chunky
Plump
Carrying a few extra pounds
Pudgy
Stocky

I could use any one of these polite-sounding adjectives to describe my stature. My weight has always been my nemesis. Who knew it would be a weapon in my arsenal in my fight against ovarian cancer.

My home-care nurse told me yesterday, those with excess weight tend to be more successful withstanding the treatments. It's the skinny folks who tend to falter because, if they lose any weight, they lack the strength to fight. Cancer can cause weight loss and it certainly depletes strength.

I get the impression from all the health care professions involved in my treatment, that I'm withstanding the onslaught from the surgery and chemo quite well - despite my complaints.

I'm sure my (previous) fitness level, overall strength, attitude and age also contribute my success. I'm not sure if fatness was the only plus on my side, I'd be handling the treatments quite as well.

But this is the first time being overweight has its advantages.

Your plump - but strong - friend,
Tina

2 comments:

  1. HURRAY FOR BEING IN SHAPE!!! ROUND IS CONSIDERED A SHAPE!!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with Diane....round and beautiful!! WOO HOO!!! HAPPY FRIDAY!!! LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete