Saturday, July 3, 2010

Pharmacological experiment

As I slowly crawl to the other side of treatment one, I conclude this long week was very different than any of my previous six experiences with chemotherapy. I blame the wonder drug, Olaparib.

Isn't it ironic that when I can't keep anything down and writhe in pain from the drug, I call Olaparib a hideous beast? Now, the side effects are almost manageable, I almost affectionately dub it a wonder drug.

I feel like I've been a pharmalogical experiment this week. I've got a giant basket full of drugs to treat a plethora of maladies. With my doctors and nurses, I've been juggling different combinations to hit on one that works for me. Each new medication brings its own issues to the table. For example, the anti-nausea medication I started taking last night causes constipation. (This same, very expensive drug is part of my pre/post chemo repitoire.) So out come the prescription laxatives and stool softeners.

With all this fanfare around the Olaparib side effects, those from the chemo almost took a back seat last week. They were very pretty wallflowers at the prom. Noticable in their jewel-coloured dresses and making their presence known with their shiny hair and captivating giggles, but not nearly glitzy enough to steal the show from the prom queen, who demanded attention.

Eating is a trick with so many medications. For example, I can't eat anything and drink only water for one hour before my Olaparib and two hours afterwards. So most nights, I take the capsules around 9 p.m. and then retire to bed an hour afterward. So my stomach sits empty all night with the drug breaking down and infiltrating the cancer camps. That's good for cancer killing, but probably not so good for my tender belly.

I need to take my new twice-a-day anti-nausea medication by itself and then wait half an hour. I also take my antacid, Prilosec twice a day. Throw in Tums, Tylenol and Lorazepam and I'm a walking drugs store with a scheduling issue.

The vitamins I used to take daily have fallen by the wayside, for now. I haven't found the space to fit them in yet. But I will. I have confidence this whole drug disaster will be straightened out so I can concentrate on the real job of all this - slaying the cancer.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment