Sunday, February 13, 2011

Gush, gush, gush

Sometimes I wish I were more cool. I often wear my emotions on my sleeve, get over-excited and talk without a filter. Afterwards, I'm slightly embarrassed.

But let me start at the beginning. Last night was the Suzie McNeil concert in Collingwood. After driving over three intense hours in drifting snow to get there (in fact, the main highway was closed by the police because of weather conditions, so we deeked over to back roads), we had a extravagant Valentine's Day dinner and then thoroughly enjoyed the concert.

Suzie's voice is amazing, her musicians were extremely talented and the venue was intimate. We were in the second row, so it almost felt as though we were on the stage with Suzie and the boys. They looked like they were having a great time and Suzie was very funny.

But here's where it gets embarrassing again. The small venue was only half full (so I felt bad) and for some strange reason I think I have to make up for the enthusiasm of those missing fans. I woot often, clap vigorously and sing too loud. I don't know why I think I'm supposed to be the super fan. I guess I feel I need to make one of my favourite artists feel welcome and appreciated (even when the concert isn't in my town).

After the show, Jeff Woods, of Legends of Classic Rock fame generously offered to introduce us to Suzie. (Michael and Jeff went to college together. Jeff's wife used to manage Suzie.) Now I wish my behaviour was smooth and cool, but no such luck. I gushed all over Suzie telling her I've been following her career since before she was on Rockstar: INXS (to the time when she sang with Abbamania), that I got inspiration from the lyrics of some of  her songs during my two battles with ovarian cancer, her voice is amazing and she's the impetus behind some of my blogs. (I'm sure Jeff, who's interviewed lots of famous musicians, inwardly cringed at my behaviour. But he was so kind and personable - even through my exuberance.)

She was so kind and gracious while I quickly rambled my sugar-coated words. I felt pressed for time because I knew a lot of people wanted to meet her. She seemed honoured her songs could be inspiration for a cancer battle. She even asked how she could access my blog (like I really expect her to look me up). She even posed for a photo with me.

I'm sure she gets all kinds of fans, and I hope she understood I was honoured to meet her - for the third time - and was able to see past the excitement and gush. Imagine if I remembered to wear my Suzie McNeil shirt! But I'm not sure it fits anymore since I've packed on the damn cancer pounds. In the past, we've encountered her outside the theatre when she was in the production of We Will Rock You in Toronto and we attended her first CD release party.

I had lots of time during the three-hour drive home to mentally kick myself for my super fan behaviour. (Yes, we drove almost seven hours to see a 90 minute Suzie concert.) I may never be cool, but there's no doubt how I feel. I guess that's just me.

                                          Me and Suzie after the concert last night

A super fan of the "Supergirl" (one of my favourite songs).
Tina


1 comment:

  1. Tina, I am so glad you had such a good time! I couldn't wait to hear about it. I'm sure Suzie was thrilled with your "fan behavior" and honored to be an inspiration to you. I mean who wouldn't love to hear that, right? Great photo!!

    ReplyDelete