Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Back to school

As is tradition, Michael and I walked the kids to their first day of school this morning. I find it hard to believe my babies are in grades 8 and 4. I sit in amazement wondering where the time has gone.

Noah is taller than me and quickly catching up to his dad. I was amazed to discover during our shoe-shopping excursion a few weeks ago, his feet are bigger than mine. His voice is deepening (with the occasional squeak or croak) and acne covers his face. But I still think he's a handsome devil and I am convinced he matured over the summer. I hope he experiences a fun and successful grade 8.

Tara, my little diva/tom boy, was actually excited about returning to school. She picked out a super-cool outfit to wear for the first day and we straightened her hair. She got a few carmel-coloured highlights last week, so she feels beautiful - which she is inside and out.

She too grew a couple of inches over the summer and her legs are long (that certainly doesn't come from me). Her class is a grade 4/5 split with a cool teacher - her first male. She's self directed and learns quickly, so I'm sure she'll do well and learn even more than the grade 4 curriculum.

Like my kids, I'm excited, nervous, sad and relieved about the new school year. Most of all, I'm thankful I'm here to experience it.

As for me, I'm slowly recovering. Yesterday was the first day I felt even close to semi-normal since chemo. I still suffer from acid reflux, I tire easily and I'm overemotional. I know I'll experience my chemo trough this week, during which my white blood cells will drop to their lowest. I can feel my red blood cells counts dropping too because I can't do much before I get tired.

I have to remember to take care of myself and take it easy. I have to remind myself that's my job and not feel guilt about it.

So I will do just that until I can retrieve my kids from school and hear the excited chatter about the first day. I can't wait.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment