Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Cancer survivors

Last night I had dinner with some of my cancer survivor group, and it was great. We talked, laughed, shared and commisserated. They all wanted to know how I was doing and where I was in my treatment cycle. We dined on good food and I even had a glass of red wine. We toasted to good health for all of us.

At first I felt weird about going. It's obvious I'm going through cancer treatment with my bald head and wan completion. I feel I'm the embodiment of their worst fears - the return of cancer. My appearance can shock some people, but I imagine it would scare those who've been through treatment, know what it's like and want never to experience that again.

But when I confessed my feelings to one member of the group, she was quick to reassure me that, to her, I represent strength, courage and the ability to face the odds yet again. So my vitality and smile, despite having cancer, were encouraging, not discouraging. That made me feel good.

The group is a special one: we faced death and learned lessons from the experience, we share fears of cancer's return (or the long-term side effects from its treatment) and celebrate clean test results, we understand the psychological, physical and mental side effects of the treatment, we offer advice, share recipes and recommend books. We understand each other.

I'm thankful for them and proud to be part of such a strong, powerful, beautiful group of people.

Tina

1 comment: