Thursday, September 30, 2010

Live

We all have a magic number. It represents the number of days we're blessed to live on this earth. The years we're given to build a life, accomplish goals, learn new skills and love others.

It'd be easier if we knew that finite number. That way we could ensure we made time to go skydiving, climb a mountain, learn to paint, travel to Australia, live in a foreign land, earn that coveted promotion at work, read the classics, quit a soul-sucking job, get out of a bad marriage, learn a new language or love someone completely.

Knowing the end was coming in x days prompts action. Or does it?

There's no guarantee debilitating illness or injury won't suck up the last years, months or days of life and make us incapable of achieving some of our goals. That's why it's important to live today and work on accomplishing those important goals when the opportunity presents itself. Don't hold back.

When I was diagnosed with cancer, and after the shock and fear wore off (but not completely because I still feel these emotions), I contemplated what I wanted to do with the rest of my life; however long that may be. I've got some activities on my list - white water rafting, traveling, writing at least one book and more I haven't solidified in my mind yet -  but several changes involve my attitude.

I want to live happy. I want to take joy in the small things in life. I want to spend time laughing with friends. I want to let go of the little, mundane, it doesn't really matter but causes me stress things.

I know I've said all this before, but I'm finally feeling well enough to surround myself with that spirit of how I want to live. I know I'll go back to that dark place one more time (and I'll fumble with staying with this attitude when presented with some of the regular burdens of life), but it's good to step out into the sunshine - and appreciate it - for at least a little while.

That brings me to the second song my dear friend sent me this week. Again, I've never heard it because I don't listen to country music, but it fittingly sums up the topic of this blog.

So I encourage you, take each day - even today - and live like you were dying.
Tina

Live Like You Were Dying
Artist: McGraw Tim

He said: "I was in my early forties,
"With a lot of life before me,
"An' a moment came that stopped me on a dime.
"I spent most of the next days,
"Looking at the x-rays,
"An' talking 'bout the options an' talkin’ ‘bout sweet time."

I asked him when it sank in,
That this might really be the real end?
How’s it hit you when you get that kind of news?
Man whatcha do?

An' he said: "I went sky diving, I went rocky mountain climbing,
"I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu.
"And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter,
"And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying."
An' he said: "Some day, I hope you get the chance,
"To live like you were dyin'."

He said "I was finally the husband,
"That most the time I wasn’t.
"An' I became a friend a friend would like to have.
"And all of a sudden goin' fishin’,
"Wasn’t such an imposition,
"And I went three times that year I lost my Dad.

"Well, I finally read the Good Book,
"And I took a good long hard look,
"At what I'd do if I could do it all again,
"And then:

"I went sky diving, I went rocky mountain climbing,
"I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu.
"And I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter,
"And I gave forgiveness I'd been denying."
An' he said: "Some day, I hope you get the chance,
"To live like you were dyin'."

Like tomorrow was a gift,
And you got eternity,
To think about what you’d do with it.
An' what did you do with it?
An' what can I do with it?
An' what would I do with it?

"Sky diving, I went rocky mountain climbing,
"I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu.
"And then I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter,
"And I watched Blue Eagle as it was flyin'."
An' he said: "Some day, I hope you get the chance,
"To live like you were dyin'."

2 comments:

  1. I listened to this song this morning. :)
    So - along with Rocky Mountain Climbing, I can also make the White Water Rafting thing happen...
    Seriously - come visit. Whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this song... my dad introduced it to me a few years back... a truly beautiful song.

    Something to think about.... why not consider making this blog and your cancer journey your book.

    Good luck with your bucket list!

    ReplyDelete