Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Golden rejeuvenation

I'm sitting on a balcony in the warm sunshine, listening to the waves rhythmically lap the shore and the seagulls shrill call of "food, food, food." I'm in Myrtle Beach, where the weather is warm and the days are relaxing. Angie and I are enjoying our second-annual sisters' trip to South Carolina.

There's something rejeuvenating about the sun, blue skies and endless stretch of water. Of course, there's something to be said about having no schedules. We eat when we're hungry, sleep when tired and rise when our bodies wake us. We walk along the beach, read books, lounge by the pool and shop. We have no one to answer to but ourselves. No lunches to pack, no meals to make, no meetings to attend and no demands. It's the perfect getaway to recharge my batteries.

We came to Myrtle Beach last year and, while we loved it for its low-key atmosphere, I onsidered trying somewhere else this year. But after researching the prices of different locales, we decided to come back here because we just couldn't beat the price. A direct flight from Detroit and four nights at our hotel - which is basic, but nice - was only $303 a person!

It's a perfect little getaway. Although I have to admit, this sneak peak into what my curly hair will look like when I'm at the beach, pool or even blown by open car windows is not an encouraging one. While I can tame the fluffly curls with product after I shower, the elements and activities turn me into a fluffy-headed troll doll. Or I look like I belong to the curl-and-comb-out set from the local seniors' centre. It's not a good look and I'll have to figure something out. Worse case scenario, it may be another do-rag and hat summer for me. I will not forego my favourite activities because I'm worried about my hair. That's so not me. I love summer!

Gotta go. There's some sunshine to enjoy.

Tina

3 comments:

  1. HURRAY!!!! SUNSHINE, OCEAN AND HEAT!!! Life is grand. Have a fabulous time with Ang...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow.. it sounds gorgeous..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you had an awesome time. The price sounds unbelievable! Tip on the curly hair: mine changed at 30 and every year gets frizzier and curlier. I started using the olive oil spray and moisturizer from the ethnic section of the drugstore, and it is doing better. Although hats are always a great alternative! Love you! Margie

    ReplyDelete