Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Stellar survivor support

Last night I had dinner with some of the members of my cancer survivor group. We met during a workshop through Wellspring last spring, and now we get together every couple of months to catch up and share a few laughs over dinner.

They're a great group, who understand the effects - both physical and psychological - of dealing with a cancer diagnosis. While our conversations don't centre around the disease, it's not uncomfortable to bring it up with this group. We share news about recent tests and discuss side effects we're still experiencing. They're very curious about my clinical trial and how I'm doing with this new drug.

With these wonderful individuals, the word cancer and all it entails doesn't stop conversation or cause discomfort, as it does with some folks. It's easier for those who've never had cancer to forget about it, and I don't blame them because that's what I'd do if it wasn't such an integral part of my life. But for those of us who've battle the demon, its presence never stays buried in our minds for long.

I hadn't seen one of the women from the group in about four months, and she kept telling me how great I look and how the sparkle has returned to my eyes. While I know I've changed from my chemo days, I don't see the small incremental improvements every day. It was such an ego boost to hear her exclamations, which I needed.

We talked about one survivor's training for the dragon boat races and the exciting new job of another. We talked of upcoming appointments and recipe ideas. Best of all, we shared commraderie, a great meal and hugs.

I'm truly lucky to have met these wonderfully supportive people. Maybe at the next gathering, we'll be able to share on a patio in the sunshine.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. I have discovered that support has made all of the difference - for my mom (who also has Ovarian Cancer) as much as for myself. You don't know cancer until it hits someone close to you, and when it does, and you have people to talk to who have been through things before you, it eases the journey a bit and makes it tolerable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, I love the support I get from others who "get it." I recently started attending a support group and find it beneficial to talk to "real" people, although I must admit, next to my family I have come to depend on my on-line support group the most. And that includes you!

    ReplyDelete