Friday, May 20, 2011

Sweet sixteen

Sixteen years.

At 16 years old, an individual can drive a car, hold a job and is usually in grade 10. He or she has gone from a dependent, helpless infant to a person verging on adulthood.

When you think about 16 years in that context, it's a long time. But to me, today, it's not. May 20 marks the 16th anniversary of day I married the love of my life.

In some ways, it feels as though we've been together forever. It's hard to recall the time before Michael. But then again, I want another 16, 20, 30 years with him.

Little did we know when we repeated the words, "in sickness and in health" what awaited us. But life never works out exactly as we plan when we're young and idealistic (or even older and a little jaded). The strength of the marriage can be judged on how the couple navigates the bumps in the road - and we've encountered a few big ones.

Don't get me wrong, like any couple, we don't always see eye to eye. But I wouldn't trade my life with Michael for the world. And I hope and pray that despite the sickness we've encountered, we have many more years to celebrate our marriage.

Happy anniversary, my love.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Happy 16th Anniversary to you both, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete