Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Regorafinib girl

Unless something freaky shows up on one of the tests I underwent today, I get to participate in the Regorafinib clinical trial. In fact, I may start it as early as next week. Yowza! When things get started, they move pretty fast. As A, my clinical trial nurse said, once we get our hooks in you, we don't let you go.

In June, Dr. H indicated I'd need a measurable lesion of at least one centimetre to participate in this study. This requirement worried me since my tumour had shrunk to 0.7 cm - a reason to celebrate - but, over the past couple months, I've been hoping it would grow, and it felt wrong. But apparently, the final study procotol doesn't specify a measurable lesion. As long as my heart and kidneys are healthy (and I'm 99 per cent sure they are), I can participate.

Today, I was subjected to all the necessary pre-study tests, and as a result, I don't feel so well tonight. First I filled six vials of blood and peed in a cup (to assess my kidney function), then Dr. H performed a physical exam. After that, it was off to the radiology department to drink my peach-flavoured radioactive contrast, get another needle inserted in my arm to push more contrast during the procedure and undergo a CT scan.

By the time my scan was done, it was 1 p.m. Since I hadn't eaten nor drank anything but three cups of the radioactive juice, I felt sick. So off to lunch my sister and I went. But I ate too fast, which bothers my fluid and gas-filled belly, and I've been uncomfortable ever since.

After noshing, we headed to x-ray for an ECG to ensure my heart is healthy, and the test showed normal sinus rhythm. I also needed an echocardiogram, which my nurse couldn't schedule for today. But as I was in x-ray, I asked how long the test would take and grumbled (in a pleasant way) about driving 1-1/2 hours for a 20 minute test. The woman working on the reception desk took pity on me, spoke to a technologist and squeezed me in this afternoon. Their generosity and thoughtfulness means I don't have to drive back to Hamilton tomorrow afternoon and my pre-study tests are all done.

Dr. H will have all the reports tomorrow and I'd be shocked if he discovers any issues with the test results. I expect a call from my clinical trial nurse tomorrow or Thursday confirming my participation and informing me to which arm of the study I've assigned. It may all begin on Tuesday. Participation appointments are pretty intense for a few weeks, but then my time commitment tapers off.

Study details
All participants take Regorafinib, which attack three pathways in cancer cells. This agent by itself has been studied in clinical trials and it's been shown to work effectively on tumours. This study is a phase I clinical trial to learn how Regorafinib interacts with medication individuals may take for other conditions to determine if it's safe to take the them together.

Those who participate do so to get the Regorafinib. I know that's what I'm doing. I'll go into the specifics of the study tomorrow because I'm tired now. But I know many people will be checking my blog tonight and tomorrow morning to see how my appointment went today.

Yay! I'm going to be part of this clinical trial. I'm excited, nervous, tired, anxious and relieved. Dr. H said the Regorafinib should dry up my ascities within days, which means I'll be able to get the pigtail out shortly after I start taking the drug. I'm also thrilled I can tuck chemotherapy in my back pocket to pull out if and when I need it. Hopefully, by the time I need to assess treatments again, some new option will be available for me.

For now, I'm placing my bets on the Regorafinib to buy me some more time to live, laugh and love.

And for those of you who pray, can you put in a word with the Big Guy and ask for group B (you'll understand tomorrow).

Thanks,
Tina

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow SO glad you get to be in the trial and praying HARD that you'll get group B!!

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're in my prayers Tina... as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!!! Hugs to you.....

    ReplyDelete