Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Goodbye Jack

Yesterday, when I learned Jack Layton died of cancer at age 61, I'd felt I'd been kicked in the gut. Even though he was the leader of the official opposition, he was portrayed as a common man, and his fight with cancer made him even more of an everyday Joe. When he lost that battle yesterday, this stupid disease claimed another awesome individual, which made me sad.

Two days before his death, he was inspired to write a letter to all Canadians. In it, he wrote a paragraph to other individuals fighting cancer:

To other Canadians who are on journeys to defeat cancer and to live their lives, I say this: please don’t be discouraged that my own journey hasn’t gone as well as I had hoped. You must not lose your own hope. Treatments and therapies have never been better in the face of this disease. You have every reason to be optimistic, determined, and focused on the future. My only other advice is to cherish every moment with those you love at every stage of your journey, as I have done this summer.

Today I head to Hamilton with the hope Jack mentioned. I'll learn if I'm accepted into the clinical trial today and probably discover the nitty gritty details of what the study will specifically entail for me. It's a new treatment, but maybe it will carry me over until an amazing breakthrough is discovered. It will give me more time to enjoy those moments with my family.

Goodbye Jack, may you rest in peace.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Good luck today Tina - hope it goes well and hoping for good news! You are in my thoughts and update us soon!

    Jill (Michigan)

    ReplyDelete