Saturday, June 11, 2011

Love and happiness

Today my sister-in-law, Margaret, gets married for the first time (at 45 years old). I'm thrilled for both her and her almost-husband, Dennis.

Of course, these part few days have been filled with activities and events. On Thursday night, Tara and I joined the bride, her mother, the matron of honour, her daughter and a cousin here from Scotland for manicures and pedicures. It was Tara's first professional nail treatment and the manicurist added little special touches. She painted little white and gold daisies painted on Tara's fingernails and some hot pink and white designs on her toenails. My little monkey looked so pleased and proud of her pretty nails. I'm sure she showed them off to all her friends at school yesterday.

Last night was the rehearsal and dinner. Tara is the flower girl, Michael's a groomsman and Noah is walking his Omi down the aisle. They all needed to practise their parts. Then we all went to Margaret and Michael's parents afterwards for some food and, more importantly, drink. But it wasn't too late a night because my kids needed to get their precious sleep. Tara arose about 20 minutes ago and Noah, thank goodness, is still sleeping. Even though Michael and I wanted to sleep in, it wasn't in the cards, so we had a long soak in the hot tub instead.

This morning, Tara joins the wedding girls for a hair appointment and the photographer arrives at 1. We'll try to keep it fairly low key until the photographs so it isn't too overwhelming. (Tara wasn't thrilled when she learned at the rehearsal last night she has to walk down the aisle all by herself!)  he ceremony is at 2:30 with the order of events thereafter being photos, cocktails, dinnner, speeches, party.

I'm the MC of the event, and while I usually abhor speaking in front of people, I'm pretty calm about all this (right now). I have my speech prepared, so I'm going to remain calm and cool. Hopefully that'll work. I'm not going to think about actually getting up in front of 140 people because that might freak me out. To be honest, I'm honoured to be part of Margaret and Dennis' special day.

As they begin their life together as husband and wife, I hope they remember this is just one day - a special day, no doubt - but only one in a lifetime together. It's important to enjoy the day, but it doesn't a marriage make. That's comprised of the happy, sad, ho-hum, sick, contented, angry and exciting days; in no particular order. A marriage is what a couple does on all the days that follow a wedding to keep their love alive and the lines of communication open.

I hope Margaret and Dennis have a fabulous day, full of fun and laughter, and a lifetime of happiness together, filled with love, understanding, forgiveness and joy.

I love you both. Congratulations.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment