Saturday, July 30, 2011

Countdown

T-3

It's three days before my pigtail port is inserted. Three days before my life once again changes in ways I can't even begin to anticipate. I know the port will limit my water-based activities, which I love, but in return it'll prevent my entire abdominal cavity from filling with fluid, which I loathe.

However, I don't know if the pigtail will be uncomfortable, if its presence will restrict me in other ways, how I'm going to sleep, how I'm going to conceal the bag in my oh-so-light summer clothing. The whole idea still freaks me out, but I'm trying not to think about the procedure and the repercussions. I'll deal with it when it's time.

I'm sure many of you are wondering about my fluid situation. I get visibly bigger every day. Clothes that fit okay in the morning, don't feel so comfortable by the afternoon. I'm round and roly poly, but luckily I'm still squishy. When the entire area fills with fluid, it becomes rock hard and exerts pressure everywhere, which creates constant discomfort. Right now, my mid back seems to be bearing the brunt of carrying the extra fluid around, but it's reasonably tolerable.

I'm still sleeping okay, and I can eat and drink, so I'm doing pretty well. It's all relative. I know how bad I can feel and this is bearable. Sure, I get progressively uncomfortable as each day progresses (may be a gravity thing), I'm somewhat limited in my activities, and I quaff Tylenol at semi-regular intervals, but it could be worse. And I know there is an end in sight, which I think helps me mentally.

In anticipation of my pigtail and water restrictions, we're headed to Port Franks (aka the spa) today. I'll swim in the lake, play, eat and laugh. I'll feel the love of some good friends. That's how I choose to spend my Saturday of the August long weekend. I have to take advantage of the pockets of awesomeness in my life. Sure, they may not be perfect given my physical situation, but little in life is perfect. Regardless, they're still pretty darn great.

Hope you find something enjoyable for this sunny Saturday too.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your day, Tina! For all your followers who have been having issues commenting...I solved it by commenting as name/URL under Select Profile. Works like a charm. I had been trying under my google account. Maybe this will help all of your friends succesfully post comments of support in the future.

    ReplyDelete