Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Day one post chemo

Everything went fine at chemo yesterday. I was in relatively on time and out by 3 p.m. I got the big dose of taxol and we'll see how it goes with the side effects over the next few days.

I ran into B, my chemo nurse and showed her my big, round ascities belly. She agreed it was at the point where paracentisis would be a good idea. So she's putting in the request, which usually takes a few days because it's with the interventional radiology department instead of with a doctor in the usual clinic area. But my belly is full of scar tissue and pockets, and therefore the docs need to see exactly where they're going with the ultrasound to get as much fluid out as possible.

I found out yesterday my CA-125 is 64. Up slightly from 60, but minor fluctuations apparently happen. So while it's not moving in a downward motion I want, I'm stable at a decent number. I get a CT scan next Friday to see what's going on in my abdomen. I'm anxious to hear the results of that.

I must have been tired yesterday because despite all the noise and activity of the chemo suite, I actually managed to sleep during treatment yesterday. And then my family let me sleep in this morning and I didn't arise until 10:15 a.m. (I can't remember the last time I slept that late!) It must have been all the excitement and lack of sleep during the weekend that left me exhaused. Despite all the sleep, that's the one side effect I feel right now - tiredness.

I'm also vomiting a lot more these days. Probably from the ascities shrinking my belly. I think I may have to switch some of my meals to Boost or Ensure instead of food - especially dinner - to see if I can prevent the middle-of-the-night vomiting trips to the bathroom. Hopefully the paracentesis and the chemo will shrink the fluid so the throwing up side effect goes away again. I was doing great for the last month or so and I'd love to get rid of that side effect again.

By the way, the port-a-cath I had inserted a couple of months ago works great. It's easy to access, relatively pain free and I have the freedom to go swimming, go in the hot tub, bath, etc. I've had some problems with infection and cysts around the insertion site, but that seems to be clearing up now too. One of the chemo nurses said he hated my PICC line and loves that I now have a port. Despite the fact it sticks out slightly and I still have scarring, I love my port too.

So today should be a good day for me before I decend into the basement. I'll see what I can accomplish between naps (yes, I'm still going to need naps because it's the one consistent side effect and I'm not sure my hemoglobin has risen up anywhere near the normal level). If I can plan dinner and make a few phone calls, I'll consider today a success.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment