Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Bye bye tail

It's been a constant companion for over a month now, but I've finally lost my tail. While that statement may be apropos for a crime novel, it seems a bit odd pertaining to an average person. But then again, I guess I'm not that average.

My tail was my drainage tube and it easily slid out amid a gush of fluid when the doc pulled on it this morning. The stitch came out a couple of days ago, and it was slowly easing its way out of my body anyway, but I wanted the doc to take a look at the area. So I went to the removal appointment this morning instead of having my home care nurse or Michael yank the sucker.

Since the tube wasn't in far enough, I wasn't getting any drainage yesterday. And the stuff that filled the reservoir the day before was bloody. I was concerned about the blood or the chance of infection, especially since the reservoir was starting to smell really funky, but Dr. L (the one who did my surgery at the end of September) didn't seem concerned.

I'm leaking copious amounts of fluid from the hole and need to change the bandage covering it every few hours, but I don't have the annoying appendage to drag around with me any more. Nor will it take up the space between me and Michael in the bed. But it's amazing how I've adapted to its presence because I went to grab the tubing when I got up from a chair the afternoon, only to happily realize it isn't there.

Now my main concern is fluid accumulation in my abdomen. I already know I'm fuller than I should be, but hopefully the ninjas will quickly work to stop the ascities production with the very first dose of chemo tomorrow. My appointment is at 8:15 a.m. and it only takes about 2 hours, so I'll be done by mid morning and ready to face the side effects. I just want to get this process started.

So think of me as you sip your morning beverage tomorrow and root for those cancer fighting ninjas in the chemo. Die cancer die!

Tina

2 comments:

  1. Tina

    go and re-activate the fighting ninjas. Its Time to kick the cancers butt again!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drinking my coffee and chanting die, die, die, die.....kick it to the curb again!!!
    Good luck today!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete