Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The beginning of the journey

This is my very first blog - ever! But I figured this is easier than keeping track of all the email addresses and missing someone. I may have the strength and energy to do that at this minute but who knows about later.

First, I'd like to thank you all for the outpouring of love, good wishes, support and offers of help. I'm a little overwhelmed by it all, but it also makes me feel very good. I have an amazing group of friends and family in my life and I'm very, very blessed. So thank you.

Now on to the update. I have ovarian cancer, which has spread to the fatty lining in my abdomen (omentum for you technical folks). But my ovaries aren't too swollen and it doesn't seem to have spread to my lymph nodes. Instead of waiting weeks for surgery, (which could be anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks) I'm going to start on a couple of rounds of chemo, then do surgery and then have chemo again. Clinical trials determined there's no difference in success rate between the two approaches. I'd rather start chemo now so that I'm fighting the dastardly little cancer cells as quickly as possible. My first round of treatment is Friday.

With this chemotherapy, it's a 6 hour treatment every three weeks. I WILL lose my hair after the first treatment. So remember me with my long, flowing locks because they'll be gone as of Thursday night (I'm getting my hair cut short so I don't have really big clumps to deal with). And don't be surprised to see the hairless wonder when you come to visit. C'est la vie.

The surgery is going to be very invasive - a total hysterectomy and removal of the fatty tissue in my abdomen - maybe I'll finally get rid of that fat that never seems to go away regardless of how hard I work out! ;) Maybe I'll just ask for a tummy tuck while they're in there.

It's going to be a tough, long, tiring journey. But I'm ready. I can do this. I'm strong, young and hopeful. If you pray, keep me in your prayers. If not, send good karma my way. I can use all the help I can get.

I will welcome visitors when I'm not puking or too tired. Don't worry, I will not try to play hostess. I'm good with words and can tell you where to find your own drinks. Ignore my house if it's messy. Ignore my messy hair (oh, wait, I won't have any).

Love you all.
Tina

7 comments:

  1. Well, my dear...with an incredible positive attitude like this, you are going to conquer this! I am so proud of you!! And thank God, you had that tummy drained....

    Love and HUGS to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, this blog is a great idea. You get to exercise your writer's brain and fingers. We get to read what you're doing and thinking. Plus we can converse without all crowding into your place at once.

    We're all on a journey.

    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, a blog. You are so strong mentally and physically that I know the cancer has no chance against you. I know that there will be lots of lows along with the highs. I will be there right by your side for the whole ride. My words don't flow as easily as yours but you know that I love you. Our life has seen so many bumps from my operations to all the ups and downs with Noah. I wouldn't change any of it because I know it's made us stonger. That strength is now going to take on this cancer and throw it aside so we can grow old together.
    Love you.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina, this blog is a very good idea. I am a bit speechless, and I do not realy know how to tell you my compassion, because there is for me the language barrier but i will try it:
    How I know you (i think its not very well, but a little bit) I belive you can fight against this "stupid" cancer and you will win the battle, because your strong and you have a huge will.
    You will see, we gona share some Chocolate again on the Terrace of your Parents in Law House ore somewhere else. I just can affiliate to Richard:
    We´re all on a journey.
    And I try to translate a German saying: We all will meet a minimum of 10 Times.
    Send you again a big Hug and a lot of Love over the Ocean.
    Renate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tina, just wanted to wish you good luck with your first treatment tomorrow. From past expericences with friends and family, I know the staff over at cancer centre are absolutely WONDERFUL and will treat you well :)
    Now go... fight those nasty cancer cells with all you've got!!!

    All the best,
    Shana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking about you and saying some prayers this morning. Fight hard and think positive thoughts. You have so many people on your side - sort of like that Verizon commercial on TV - you've got People!
    God Bless Hugs to Michael, Noah and Tara
    Lots of Love to you
    AC and UV

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1995 is when I found my cancer it is now 2009 My thoughts are with you. Carry platic bags at all times, a damp cool washcloth to help with the sweats, and air conditioning is a life saver. All my prays and love. Aunt Doris

    ReplyDelete