Saturday, April 25, 2009

It's a beautiful day

You hear it all the time - it's a great day to be alive. Having cancer puts that all into perspective. It is a great day to be alive and be thankful for the gorgous weather. Bonus - it's a Saturday to boot!

It's day one post chemo and I'm surprised at how good I feel. The treatment went well for the most part. I had a reaction to one of the chemo drugs (I get two pumped into me along with saline to flush and Benadryl to prevent allergic reactions). My primary chemo nurse yesterday warned me that if I felt any different at any time that I was to tell one of the nurses and that a whole team would come to help. She wasn't kidding. When I commented my mid back hurt a little (I thought it was from playing cards), FOUR nurses rushed to my bedside. Then I had a burning sensation my mid chest. They stopped the chemo, pumped Benadryl into my system, which made my ears burn, my vision blur and I got really sleepy. Because it didn't alleviate the burning in my chest, they all added hydrocortisone. Once the symptoms were gone, they slowly titrated the chemo back in to start and then gave me the rest of the dose at full speed.

The second drug went in with no generated excitment.

I guess they're now going to add the hydrocortisone to my next round of chemo to prevent the onslaught of nurses during the treatment.

Overall, I'm in good spirits. I was really tired last night. I feel slightly tired today. As my wise husband said this morning, we have no schedule, so sleep when you're tired and eat when you're hungry. My stomach feels different but not too bad (I was expecting nausea and vomitting but they give you LOTS of drugs before, during and after to prevent nausea). I have a funny taste in my mouth, which I was warned about. Apparently, I could get a metallic taste and I won't enjoy the same foods. Heaven forbid that chocolate become one of them! And I'm suppose to get muscle aches for which they've given me pain killers. For someone who didn't take a lot of medication, I have a whole basket full!

Thanks to everyone for your postings to my blogs, your emails and your good thoughts. I appreciate them all and feel strengthed and blessed. You never know how great a team you've gathered around you until it's put to a test. You guys all pass with flying colours.

Lots of love,
Tina

8 comments:

  1. What a relief it is to know you're not puking your brains out. There was a ton of positive thoughts about you yesterday around the office - more than you can ever imagine Tina.
    I'm glad this day is shaping up to be okay for you. It is sunny. It is beautiful. And so are you. Listen to your husband and take it easy, or you're going to have a whole slew of people to report to if you don't!

    Love you.

    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. With an attitude like that, Tina, you're going live forever! I have always known you were super chill, but this is the big test and YOU'RE passing with flying colours!

    I love your blog. What a great idea! Look who's become tech-y over night! :) I can't wait to see your short haircut. I bet it's so cute on you!

    Keep the blogs a comin' and when you're feeling better, I'll stop by with muffins and lemonade.

    Bye for now!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sista - looking SSSSSassy with your new do! And what a great thing that you're blessed with such a sense of humour. Not only will that help you through this "reward challenge", but you really know how to put your friends at ease in the way you communicate here. Thank you for that, and for sharing with us your journey. You are truly loved, cuz you're so easy to love! True 'dat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there - Looking good!
    Love the hair-do. I'm glad you are feeling well and not too sick. Losts of prayers coming your way

    Love AC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tina, It´s pretty cool your Haircut! I like it.

    what kind of stuff do you get? (the brand name?)I´m interestet, because i was working for Roche as a clinical trial assistant and they also testet some chemo-stuff for cancer like yours.

    Love Renate

    ReplyDelete
  6. the spa is waiting for you when you're ready. I'm so relieved you pulled through without the big nausea-fest
    love you my girl xoxoxox
    (xoxox for Mikey)
    (xoxox for Noah)
    (xoxox for Mouse)
    (xoxox for Geen-ger)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome Pawesome....you did AMAZING!! And, remember....its 90% attitude in everything life deals you....and only 10% circumstances...and how WE choose to react to it...

    Sounds like you know exactly what you need to do..and you have an entire cheerleading squad behind you every step of the way!! Lean on all of us...that is what we are here for, girlfriend!!

    Love you tons....
    With miles of smiles...and hugs across the miles
    Your BLOOD sister (remember?? HAA HAA LOL!)
    Rachna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tina
    Just a short note to let you know that you and you family are in our prayers.
    We have faith that everything will work out for you in time. Take care of yourself, you have a great attitude!!
    Love Cheryl & Reg

    ReplyDelete