Monday, April 27, 2009

Cancer

You hear the diagnosis of cancer almost every day. Unfortunately, it's not an uncommon disease. But I never thought I'd hear it in relation to me. It still seems surreal - even as the chemotherapy courses through my body. I was healthy. I was working out regularly, I was training for a tri-triathalon, I could swim a mile in 45 minutes, I was even running! I'm only 42!

Why me? I could ponder possible reasons - bad genes, fate, too much stress, too much partying in my youth (but who didn't?). None of them will answer the question as to why I'm fighting this battle.

I guess I'm lucky that I am strong. Day two post chemo was far tougher than the first. The noxious chemicals that are killing the cancer cells are wreaking havoc on some of my internal systems, including my stomach. I'm also experiencing the muscle pains the nurses warned me about (like someone is sticking pins in my legs). Too bad they aren't the growing pains that kids get when they're growing too fast. I think it's a bit too late to figure on a growth spurt. Of course, there's the tiredness.

But Michael and I took a nice long walk yesterday evening. The weather is beautiful and I'm determined to enjoy it. Summer is my favourite season.

I know it's only been a little over one week, but I miss work. I miss the people, the business, the sense of purpose. I know my purpose is to get well now, but it's still hard to adjust.

I appreciate everyone who is staying in touch via this blog, email, Facebook, phone and visiting. I feel a little more connected.

Have a great Monday,
Tina

8 comments:

  1. Good morning Tina You are right it has been a beautifull weekend. Good to hear you are in good spirits. You wil get back to your running soon enough. Enjoy the walks.

    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning darlin girl. It was indeed a beautiful weekend. You were in my thoughts all weekend. Yesterday morning I went to Canadale Nursery and bought a beautiful rose bush called "Rose Promise". It is the rose for Breast Cancer, but you could have it for any type of cancer. I planted it in a very special spot for you, and I will watch it grow and produce beautiful flowers.

    I am so glad to hear that you have not lost your sense of humour. I am so very proud of you, and I know with your positive attitude and zest for life, this too will pass, and you will once again be out running and chasing your dreams.

    Love always your buddy Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina - Zoe and I were dancing all weekend in London. The parks were busy with life and the sun was shinning! You have a beautiful city to raise your children in. We love you so much and need to visit more. You have always accomplished so much you will definitely overcome this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My girl,
    like I keep telling you, I'm not crying because you won't beat this, I'm crying cause all the crap you will have to go through before you do. Keep the strength sista, I love you,,,you make me so very proud to have you as one of my clan. Now, pull out that lounge chair and sit outside and read a book, or better yet, just nap... xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will be healthy again. You will complete a triathlon. You will swim a mile in 45 minutes again. You will run again - even if you don't want to. ;-)
    I can't wait to share in each and every milestone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning Tina!
    There was nothing wrong what you did. Neather to much partying nor living unhealthy. I can understand the doubts you have. The experience i made with cancer is: that allways the good ones get it. (See my Father and my Sister).
    It could be a mutation of the BRCA-Gene. BRCA1 belongs to a class of genes known as tumor suppressors, which maintains genomic integrity to prevent uncontrolled proliferation. The multifactorial BRCA1 protein product is involved in DNA damage repair, ubiquitination, transcriptional regulation as well as other functions.
    May be this helps you further.
    Love Renate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Afternoon Tina'

    Cheryl & I are keeping you in our prayers. Please remember to Thank The Lord In Advance for your full recovery.

    Reg

    ReplyDelete