Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Determined

I woke up this morning determined today would be better than yesterday. Maybe I needed a "I feel sorry for myself because I feel like crap day" and I took it. I guess I have that right.

Actually, everyone has the right to have a day when you're just a little bit selfish. We all have to take care of ourselves because life is what you make it. It's not going to wait until you're finished that project, you or your kids reach a milestone or until you get to that next vacation. It's here and now. Find something to enjoy and be thankful for every day.

So stop right now and think about something good in your life. Something that makes you smile. I remember before my diagnosis, after a really good workout when I felt strong, I'd feel thankful for my fitness. I've never been thin, but I've been fit. I'd tell myself to remember that good, healthy feeling as I aged, because I'd inevitably feel more aches and pains. I'm now thankful that I was diligent about working out because it's going to come in handy during the coming months.

To recapture a sense of well-being, I walked for an hour this morning with my dog, Ginger. We went over 6.5 km through the streets of the neighbourhood. I felt the cool wind on my face, watched the activity in the neighbourhood, admired the spring flowers and anticipated the continuation of nice weather. After the jaunt, I feel almost "normal" - although that's going to be a relative term in my near future. But I feel better and that's important.

I also had a nice visit this morning with Jodi, my friend from work. She dropped by with smile, some engaging stories and a card from all my supportive friends at London Life. Thanks guys, your comments and good wishes made me smile.

I know I keep saying how lucky I am, but that's how I feel. I'm thankful for the visitors, emails, phone calls, cards, flowers and care packages that make their way to me. I'm truly blessed.

And so are you. Think of at least one reason why you're lucky today and be thankful for it. Take the time to do something you enjoy and let go of the "rat race" mentality that can consume us all for at least five minutes. You'll be better off for it.

Smile because the sun is shining.
Tina

4 comments:

  1. Ata girl... keep smiling honey, it's a beautiful planet. I'm sure it did you a world of good to get out in the world today with the Geen-ger and just smile at the sun. Keep your eyes looking forward towards the future, yours will be as sunny as today...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina,

    Angie told me the bad news and sent me your link. I'm off work today and just read through your blog and have to say, I'm incredibly inspired by you!

    I am so glad you are keeping this blog Tina - I know how hard it is to keep everyone informed of each step of your journey. This should help you focus on getting well with the love and support of everyone around you. Know that I am one of those people and you can contact me anytime!

    I know (from being a parent of two children with cancer) what a challenge you are facing, but I also know that if anyone can do this, you can! You are an amazingly strong person with an eternally positive spirit. Sending you all my love, prayers and postive energy!!!

    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful blog...there is NO DOUBT that the journalism major that you were is expressing and reporting things "as they happen"... :-)

    Thinking of you....sending you positive vibes and love across the miles....
    -30-
    Rachna

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, it was an absolutely beautiful day Tina! It's so nice to see the grass turning green and the tulips starting to pop. I thoroughly enjoyed my walk in to work this morning! I'm so glad to hear that you got out with your dog for a nice walk. I love your hair cut.. it's tempting to go for the same look myself. Hope to see you some time soon.

    ReplyDelete