Thursday, April 23, 2009

Short and sassy


Tonight was the big haircut. I figure if I'm going to lose my hair anyway, I may as well be proactive. So in preparation for my first chemo appointment tomorrow, I had my hair cut really, really short.

While I like my hair short and I've worn it that way many, many times in my life, the snipping was a reality check for me. It was the first voluntary action I've taken in response to my cancer diagnosis. Sure, I've had all kinds of medical tests and procedures done TO me, but I chose this. So as my hair was falling on the floor, my stomach was dropping.

Don't get my wrong. I like the short do. I think it looks pretty good. But I liked my long hair. I wouldn't have cut it if it weren't going to fall out. But it is. And instead of looking like someone's Uncle Wilbur who lives in the trailer park and loves comb-overs, I got it cut. (No offense to anyone who has an Uncle Wilbur.) I don't think I could buy enough Draino to unclog the drain if I started losing my hair in the shower. And I think that process of watching the long strands circle down the drain would have been far more tramatic.

The literature says one of my chemo drugs will cause ALL my hair to fall out in two to three weeks. So, I'm short and sassy - at least for now.

I've been tired the last couple of days. Stress? My body trying to fight the cancer naturally? I don't know.

Tonight I got to quaff my first five anti-nausea pills. And I get to take five more at 2:30 a.m. (with food of course because everyone loves to eat in the middle of the night). I've been warned that these meds are a stimulant so I may be pacing the halls, surfing the net or creating another blog in the wee hours. But maybe I'll sleep on the big chair as I get my six hours of chemo tomorrow. If these pills keep the nausea at bay, I'm all for the strange schedule.

So keep my in your thoughts on Friday as you enjoy the warm weather, wrap up the end of the work week and start your weekend plans. I'm happy I'm going to be taking action to beat this thing.

I welcome emails, phone calls or comments on my blog. It reminds me of the great support team I have pulling for me.

With lots of love,
Tina

P.S. I'll try to update my photo with my new hair on the weekend (when I figure out how to do it - techno geek that I'm NOT!)

10 comments:

  1. I'm sure your new hair cut looks fabulous Tina! Good luck today - you can do this.
    Your in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one of the strongest people I know! I have drawn inspiration from you over the years! YOU CAN DO THIS!! GO GIRL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Tina - we're all rooting for you!

    Bald is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck Tina - we send our good vibes to you!

    Short Hair looks good on you ! After the Chemo You can go to a wig-store an chose a fancy one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure the new "do" is sassy AND classy - just like you Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tina, YOU ROCK! Will be thinking of you today...I think I have you on every prayer chain I know! It worked for my mom...and I KNOW it is going to work for you. Keep STrong...

    Hugs...

    The Pavliks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tina,

    LOVE the new do! You look fantastic! You're going to look even more beautiful bald... and plus, I hear it feels good in the breeze :)

    You're always in my thoughts. Thanks for creating the blog... what a fabulous idea!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes,,, I'm jealous,,, you look fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the new "do"!! It totally suits you...and reminds me of the time in our Riverside Apartment when you got your hair chopped off then, remember? Short and Sassy...both of us!! What a blast!!

    You look amazing!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! You look fantastic with short hair.

    ReplyDelete