Friday, February 18, 2011

A-okay

Over the past couple of weeks, the focus has shifted from my abdomen to my breasts. As a BRCA-1 gene mutation carrier, I have an extremely high risk of developing breast cancer. Even though my hysterectomy and oopherectomy reduced my risk by half, it's unacceptable at at almost 50 per cent. As a result, I undergo careful screening once a year.

Last week, I made my way to St. Joseph's Health Care to be scanned and squished during my MIR and mammogram. Luckily, I had the foresight to take two Tylenol in advance of the MRI and therefore the act of resting my entire weight on my breastbone for at least 20 minutes didn't hurt quite as much. I used my imagination to ferry myself somewhere else during the process and it didn't seem to take very long (and it kept my mind off the fact my body was slid head first into a slim, claustrophobic tube).

My main irritation was a few itches. Once I wasn't allowed to move, a particular area would demand some scratching attention. Luckily, if I ignored it, the sensation went away. But it was annoying nonetheless.

Yesterday, I visited the nurse practitioner to learn my test results. My breasts are great. No lumps, bumps or pesky signs of cancer. Whew!

In April, I have an appointment with the plastic surgeon to discuss a prophylactic double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery. (This date scheduled after my breast check in 2010 and it's taken over a year to get the appointment.) At this meeting, we'll discuss my surgery options. When I choose on particular procedure, I'll then have the opportunity to talk to other women who've had the exact same surgery.

To be honest, thoughts of my breasts have been on the backburner. I was too busy dealing with ovarian cancer to think about the possiblity of getting another form of the disease. But the meeting yesterday got me thinking once again about going under the knife again.

I have to confess, I'm a bit conflicted. If the Olaparib is doing its job and fixing the broken part of the gene mutation, it should prevent the development of breast cancer too. Should I rely on the Olaparib? Can I take that risk with an experimental drug? Can I take a wait and see approach or do I need to take action as soon as possible? These questions and ideas are swirling about in my mind.

I don't feel particularly connected to my breasts, but I had a twinge of sadness for them yesterday when looking at photos of women who've undergone the surgery. There's the risk of them being slightly lopsided and the nipple would be gone (and a tattoo version put on later). I guess the upside is they'd be perkier.

I'm reluctant to experience more pain and recovery, especially since I don't feel I have my full strength back from all the chemo treatments this past summer, but I certainly don't want to battle breast cancer too. The thought makes me feel very, very tired.

I guess I'll examine my options and make some hard decisions after I see the plastic surgeon in April. I suspect this process won't move quickly anyway, so I'll have lots of time to adjust to whatever my future may hold.

Tina

3 comments:

  1. Tina, hard choices. You'll do what you feel is right. I have the opposite problem. Breast cancer with bilateral mastectomy. The left side was prophalactic and thought I tested negative for BRCA, my estrogen levels remain high and have to consider removing the ovaries. I guess it's for the best, but I'm struggling with it. By the way, I've had breast reconstruction and they look very different, but overall, pretty darn good. Certainly worth it to me. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina. Like you I did have a decision to make. I choose to have the bilateral mastectomy. 95% chance of reoccurance and a healthy wish to live longer induced my discision to do so. My mammory glands were used for nursing and other than that were not as importnant as living. I had it done without a plastic surgeon as the wait was too long for my liking. When I did see the plastic surgeon I was told they would flip my back shoulder muscle forward to have the implant held in as my muscle by the breast was dammaged from the radiation I received. Did not want the implant falling out. I have since decided that the surgery was not that important. 45.00 X 5 is a savings as well as the underwires cutting me annoying. My decision was good for me, as I have found I still have all the capablities of working and gardening in a physical enviroment. It is not an easy decision but a personal one. Anyways I always can get my younger sister on the bra sales joke. gets her all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina, Oh girl, I so relate. As a BRCA 2 positive person, I understand. I am now contemplating the oopherectomy/hysterectomy surgeries. Like Stacey, I had the breast cancer first. All I can say is my bilateral/ reconstruction, while not pleasant, has been "doable." Good luck on making your decision. You'll do what's right for you.

    ReplyDelete