Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Renewed love affair

I've recently rediscovered the joy of reading magazines. These portable, glossy-paged, disposable booklets are treasure troves of information and ideas.

I read a lot of books. I love a good fictional story, especially ones involving mysteries, crimes, police and forensic pathology. The novels I choose need to have strong characters and compelling storylines. Yes, they can be dark, but for some reason, I'm drawn to them. My favourite authors include: Patricia Cornwell, Kathy Reichs, John Sandford, James Patterson, Elizabeth Lowell and Tess Gerittsen. I also like Janet Evanovich, but her books are more humerous and unrealistic than gruesome.

I got drawn back into the world of magazines because of the hot tub. I wanted to relax in its soothing, warm waters and read at the same time. The extreme cold of our Canadian winters produces a lot of steam over the water surface, which would damage my books (or those of the library). So I grabbed one of the many unread Chatelaine or More magazines, which are neatly piled in different areas of my house, knowing I could simply recycle their soggy pages.

I think Chatelaine changed its format during my publication-reading hiatus, so now I find the magazine's articles, recipes, fashion ideas, exercise routines and home-decorating tips relevant and compelling.

For example, the magazine features a style spread each month, with age-based recommendations on how to wear the latest trends. Usually I don't go for the latest fashion, finding them unrealistic to real life. But I actually like the clothes chosen for these spreads. Mind you, I usually like the clothes, shoes and jewelry featured for those in their 30s the most, so maybe I'm mentally younger than my cronological age. The magazine even lists the Canadian store where readers can find the clothes featured and their retail price.

Chatelaine publishes longer feature articles and lots of short tidbits of information, so the readers can choose according to their current attention span. I love them all! Did you know asparagus will help detoxify your liver after a overindulgent night of celebrating? Me neither! I also didn't know 10 minutes of friendly conversation can give my brain a quick boost and make me a better problem solver? Or that walnuts are a stress reliever. Thank you Chatelaine.

The January 2011 issue also featured a breakdown on some of the most popular diets, just in time for the popular new year's resolution to shed a few pounds. It also included a checklist on ways to change your life in 30 days. Some readers may follow the list of 30 wellness suggestions from beginning to end, while others may pick a few to better themselves and their lives. The list included:

- Aim for 80 per cent of today's food intake to be fresh, real and unprocessed.
- Go on a (laughter) date.
- Reach out to someone important in your life. It can have a powerful effect on both you and your valued friend.
- Take at least three breathing breaks
- Indulge in chocolate and red wine (powerful antioxidants) - This is my favourite!

The February 2011 issue taught me how to cook and enjoy dark leafy greens. While I knew these super veggies packed a lot of immune-boosting nutrients and were touted to possibly help reduce the risk of some cancers, I didn't know how to incorporate them into my kitchen routine. Thanks to the article, I now know the nutrient breakdown, storing instructions and ways to cook arugula, spinach, kale, collard greens and swiss chard. While I love spinach, I can now expand my palate to incorporate some of these other leafy powerhouses.

I find myself saying "Hunh," "What a great idea!" and "I'd like to try that" during my perusing of every issue. Even when I don't consciously incorporate the magazine's suggestions into my life, its articles expand my knowledge base and give me food for thought. In addition, it provides great food ideas with wonderful recipes, complete with full-colour, glossy photos of the final product. Mmmmm.

So, while I'll continue to enjoy my novels, my love of my magazines has been renewed, especially during those leisurely soaks in the hot tub. Now I can lower my stress levels and increase my I.Q. at the same time. What a great combination!

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment