Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Small, but powerful, trick

As I've mentioned, I've experienced a lot of mental challenges over the past couple of weeks. I've started using a little trick that helps me every time. It sounds simple, but for me, it works.

When I start to get worked up, worried, aggravated or sad, I think about all the things for which I'm grateful. Each time, I usually end up saying thank you for some of the people in my life, my health (yes, I'm happy about it even though I still have cancer lurking inside me) or a good experience I've had. I'll sometimes throw in something small too - the hot tub, a tasty meal, good coffee, etc.

I find that if I focus on the good things in my life, I diminish the power of the bad ones.

Have you thought about all the people, experiences and items for which you're especially grateful lately. You may be surprised how an attitude of gratitude can brighten your day.

Hope there's lots of sunshine in your life today.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of a similar trick I learned years ago and thank YOU for reminding ME of it today.

    Think of how you would feel if you lost everything in the world that was important to you and then imagine that you just got it all back.

    Nothing has changed, but you sure do feel so much better about it!

    ReplyDelete