Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Every dollar counts

Last night, I attended an organizing committee meeting for the Run for Ovarian Cancer. They invited team captains so we could share fundraising ideas. The committee also asked if they could help in any way.

I talked about Team Tina's souper fundraiser and everyone expressed astonishment it raised over $700. Then I talked about a few other smaller events we have planned. I also mentioned I ask almost everyone I know for a donation. I may get a no, because there are lots of worthy causes out there, but I definitely won't get a donation if I don't ask.

Although only a couple of other captains showed up last night, it was a pleasure to put names and faces to the other teams. It's a friendly competition to raise the most funds - one that I may take a little too seriously. But I am so close to this worthy cause and so desperately want a better way to deal with this disease. Besides, every dollar raised supports ovarian cancer research.

Last night we listened to one of the researchers, who discussed how the money is spent. It was interesting to learn they have competitions to earn the money, so the funding is supporting the best ideas in the city on the ovarian cancer research front.

I truly believe we're on the verge of some great breakthrough. And I'm proud to support that through my fundraising efforts.

I welcome you to join Team Tina and come out to the run on May 15. Or sponsor one of the team members. Join in the fight against ovarian cancer. Every dollar counts.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment