Friday, April 8, 2011

Med mix up

Extreme tiredness, restlessness, jitteriness, aching legs, the feeling cotton is occupying at least half my brain. That's how I feel. Why? Because I accidentally took Noah's medication at dinner last night.

I guess I'm so used to popping pills and was sufficiently distracted enough that when I grabbed Noah's meds last night, I popped them in my mouth and swallowed them. I take an acid reducer every evening at dinner and thought that's what I was consuming. But when I sat down at dinner and saw my Nexium tablet sitting by my plate, I discovered my mistake.

Noah takes two medications in the evening - a antidepressant and a mood stabilizer. I suspect, the extended-release mood stabilizer is wreaking havoc on my systems.

I tried to contact the medical oncologist on call at the Hamilton cancer centre last night, but was told by the switchboard operator to call my family doctor or go to Emergency. Right, like they could do anything for me and understand my situation. So I'm going to call my clinical trials nurse today to ask if there are any issues with taking these pills and my Olaparib. (Not that I've stopped my doses of the clinical trial drug.)

I feel the mood stabilizer is creating attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in me. Last night, I had flashing, colourful images under my eyelids when I tried to go to sleep. I've jumped from one activity and one thought to another this morning. It's very disconcerting.

To be honest, I also feel extremely self conscious. Last night, I had a couple of women over to plan an event and I couldn't sit still. I was so tired and had to force my eyes to stay open. I thought they couldn't help but notice I was acting weird. Then I wondered why they didn't say anything. I certainly didn't feel like me.

This experience makes me wonder what Noah feels like every day. I'm sure he experiences different things because the meds are designed to help his type of brain. But I'll have to compare notes with him - when I'm feeling back to normal.

Until the drugs are out of my system, I'll just do the best I can. Rest assured, this little mix up will make me be more careful with medications in the future. (I'm trying not to call myself an idiot, but that's what I feel like I am.)

Wish me luck.
Tina

2 comments:

  1. WOAH! That is so whack! I hope you feel back to normal soon!!! Much love! (And I'm back in the same Time Zone!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Max! I've missed you. Send me your new email address. (mtbrats@rogers.com)

    ReplyDelete