Monday, April 18, 2011

This and that

Cough, cough
Since I haven't blogged in a few days, perhaps you thought I was out celebrating my good news. But unfortunately, that wasn't the case. I've been trying to recover from a nasty cold I developed last Wednesday. Returning to work full time, getting run down and exposure to a multitude of germs were the perfect storm to knock me down for the count. And I didn't just keep all these snotty germs to myself - I shared them with the family. So Noah and Michael have been sick, and Tara complained of a sore stomach this morning. Ugh.

Running fool or foolish running?
Despite being sick, I've continued to run. Despite feeling like absolute crap last week, I joined my running group on Wednesday for our jaunt around the park. But yesterday, I decided I can't keep up with the pace at which the group is progressing. We jumped from 1 minute run/1 minute walk, to 3 minute run/3 minute walk last week. Today we're supposed to do a 5 minute run/3 minute walk. I just can't do it. And if I try, it's going to turn me off running (more than I already am).

Besides, it's freaking cold outside, with a chance of snow. I'm NOT running in that. I'm going to go at my own pace and hop on the treadmill instead. In a way, I feel I'm copping out (especially on my friend, Dorothy, who joined the group because of me). But I have to be aware of my own limitations. I will get there; just at a slower pace than set by my run leader.

On a positive note, I swam a half mile yesterday (after my requied run) and felt much better than the first time. So perhaps my strength and stamina are coming back. Yippee! That's a positive. My cardio improvements will help me with the Run for Ovarian Cancer, even if I'm not built to run.

Woot, woot
Speaking of the run, we held a Starbucks fundraiser at work on Friday and made over $75 thanks to some very, very generous coffee and tea drinkers.

I'm still fundraising and appreciate any donations to the cause. Remember, the money directly supports ovarian cancer research, for which I'm thankful every single day.

I only wish the research and breakthroughs could have helped my friend, Pateeta. I think about her all the time. She's on her final path with ovarian cancer, can't text any more, is in a lot of pain and struggles every day. I wish her and her family peace and comfort.

I wish you all peace and comfort, too. Even though it's Monday, we're all here to make the most of it.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment