Sunday, February 14, 2010

Ode to love

When I was younger, I longed to have a sweetie for Valentine's Day. I didn't date much, so the concept of celebrating this holiday full of hearts, chocolates, flowers and romance seemed like the ideal way to profess love.

Michael and I have now been together for 17 Valentine's Days. In the beginning of our relationship, we celebrated by going out for dinner and exchanging tokens of our affection - but usually on Feb. 15 to avoid packed restaurants with inflated pricing and take advantage of the clearance sales of pink and red merchandise. Even then our practicality ruled.

Over the years I've discovered we don't need (nor even want) a Hallmark holiday to demonstrate our love. We take advantage of little gestures every day - small touches, compliments, I love yous - to do just that. To us, that's what builds a relationship, a marriage. It's the small gestures every day that count - not those on a contrived holiday.

Don't get me wrong, if Valentine's Day turns your crank, by all means celebrate it. But I think I'm far luckier to have a relationship where the sentiments of this day infiltrate daily life. As I've said before, I'm a lucky woman.

Happy Valentine's Day (today and every day)
Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment