Friday, February 5, 2010

Unfair hair

As promised by other cancer survivors, the wolfman hair that graced my face is going away all on its own. But with its disappearance, which makes me happy, I've noticed changes in the rest of my hair that makes me sad.

When my hair returned, it was very thick and soft. The hair on my head was baby-soft and thick, my eyelashes were long and lush, my arm hair seemed to proliferate overnight. I loved the beautiful, silky, thick head, eyebrown and eyelash hair - especially after having none.

But now, it seems the cells that so rapidly resumed their hair-growing jobs, decided to go back to pre-cancer production levels. They were gung ho production line workers eager to return to work after the strike and prove themselves capable, only to return to their slacker ways after a few weeks back on the job. They must be in a union.

My eyebrows have little bare spots in them and for some reason, my eyelashes broke at the halfway point. They look terrible. I swipe the mascara wand over them, trying to coax length and thickness, but to no avail.

Perhaps the hair wasn't strong for long because it was post-chemo hair. Again, I'm going to have to be patient, waiting for it to make a reappearance (I'm assuming it'll grow). I'm sure when it's all said and done, I'll have the stubby, sparce lashes with which I was born. But hey, it's better than having none at all.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment