Monday, March 28, 2011

Blub, blub

After a 10-month hiatus, I headed back to the pool yesterday. We recently reactivated our membership at the local Y, which we'd put on hold as I went into treatment last June. Michael and I have been regular Y members since before our kids were born. We love the commraderie - and the pool - at this fitness facility. Many of the staff know our names and cheerily welcomed us back.

When we go to open swims, we have a rule for the kids. They have to swim as many lengths as their age in addition to playing in the water. So Tara swims 9 and Noah 13. Yesterday, Michael and I also followed our own rule. So I had to swim 44 lengths of the 25 metre pool.

I've always been a good swimmer. Given that I spent five years swimming competitively as a child, I feel comfortable in the water. I've also consistently exercised, therefore, my strength and stamina are usually pretty good. But spending more than half of the last two years in cancer treatment, I'm at an all-time fitness low. And I noticed the difference when I hopped in the pool yesterday. During my first four lengths I was shocked at how hard it was to swim. I'd never felt that uncomfortable in the water. My arms protested and I couldn't find my rhythm.

Luckily, the muscle memory came back and after a warm up of about 12 lengths and the exercise got easier. It was still difficult and my arm muscles ached, but I finished all 44 lengths. I averaged a decent (despite my lack of conditioning ) eight minutes per 12 lengths. I took a brief break between these sets and managed to swim my entire 44 lengths in a hair under 30 minutes. (Yes, I was timing only the swimming portions.)

It felt good to get back in the pool. I was proud of my accomplishment when I finished. And surprisingly, I don't feel any unusual muscle aches today.

But I'm starting a Learn to Run program at work today. I'm a little nervous about it. Unlike swimming, running is not my sport. But I want to be able to put in a decent showing at the Run for Ovarian Cancer, and I figured doing a program like this might condition me to do a better run.

I have a feeling I'll be feeling some aching muscles tomorrow.

Wish me luck,
Tina

2 comments:

  1. WAY TO GO! That's awesome! So proud of you for finishing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the support, Sami. I'm doing my best - and that's the best I can do.

    ReplyDelete