Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Forever thankful

"In the end, though, maybe we must all give up trying to pay back the people in this world who sustain our lives. In the end, maybe it's wiser to surrender before the miraculous scope of human generosity and to just keep saying thank you, forever and sincerely, for as long as we have voices."
                      - Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love

My tango with cancer continues to teach me a great deal about the unselfish generosity of people and the depth of kindness. I matter to others, and they show me through words and actions every day. It's a really good feeling.

It's sad it sometimes takes a brush with a serious illness or death for people to tell others how they really feel. That's why I try every day to engage others, tell people what I like about them and say, "I love you."

Right now, I'm working with a wonderful team of people on a soup event to raise funds for Team Tina and the Run for Ovarian Cancer. We're going to simmer up many pots of delicious soup and serve them up on Friday. I'm also thankful to all who bought a ticket. Without rumbly tummies, this fundraiser wouldn't be a success.

I'm thankful for all the wonderful things people have done for me: fundraising, joining Team Tina, donating/buying soup tickets, friendly emails, supportive words, listening when I'm worried or happy, and all the wonderful gifts I received. I have an amazing support system.

As Elizabeth Gilbert so aptly wrote above, I can't even begin to thank everyone for all they've done for me over the past two years. I know all these caring people don't expect payback, but I will continue to say thank you, forever and sincerely, for as long as I have a voice. Let's just hope that's a long, long time.

Thank you, my friends. You sustain me and make my life richer, more colourful and incredibly blessed.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Tina,
    Such a lovely post. I bet all those people that you are thankful for are also thankful they know you. I am. Good luck with the soup event!

    ReplyDelete