Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Learning to run

I layered my workout wear, donned gloves and a warm headband, and laced up my running shoes yesterday at lunch to begin the learn to run program through work. A few snowflakes swirled in the air as we headed out for our jaunt around Victoria Park in downtown London.

I'd somehow convinced my friend, Dorothy, to join me in this adventure. She's another non-runner and I think we were both wondering what the heck we were doing as we headed down to the gym.

I was a bit nervous about the whole thing. My stomach was performing funny little flips and anxiety crawled up my throat. But as a friend (who runs) pointed out, it's a learn to run program, not a come run with us if you're fabulous at the activity. I may be fabulous in different ways, but I digress.

It turns out, I had nothing to fear. We start really slow. In fact, I'm harder on myself when I've started running programs by myself in the past. We walked at a brisk pace for about five minutes before we started running our first minute. It flew by. Then we walked - and talked - for two minutes. And then we ran again. And we only did it five times! I've always run at least 10 minutes, despite the length of the intervals in between.

But I've promised myself I'll follow the program and not try to get ahead. After years of experience, I'm sure the trainer knows what she's doing. I run again tomorrow with the group and then once by myself over the following four days.

So I feel good today and am telling myself, "I can do this."

I know it will get harder as the weeks progress, but I'll be building stamina and improving technique (something I've never had anyone correct me on before).

I doubt I'll love to run, even by the end, but at least I'll be able to it.

Tina

6 comments:

  1. Jeez, sign me up! I don't like running and don't ever really push myself unless I'm feeling super energetic at the time. Keep it up Tina! Excited to hear how the rest of the weeks go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for making me go Tina. I am glad that I have a friend to learn with. See you tomorrow!
    d

    ReplyDelete
  3. could you please send me some of your enthusiasm? I´m so gelous about your strength to yourself!

    Love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! I'd like to run, but like you, I need to learn how. It's nice you've found a group. Looking forward to reading more as you get stronger and faster.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina,
    You are inspiring me to get out there, especially when you mention the snowflakes. I can't use the chilly temps for an excuse!! I like my treadmill, but there's something about being outside isn't there? Good luck with your running program. I love the idea of learning how to run...

    ReplyDelete
  6. YYYEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! That-a-girl!!!!!!! WHoooooo!!! Yeah you!!! SO SO proud of you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete