Thursday, March 10, 2011

Where's my life jacket?

When you allow your best self
to shine through
and have the courage to believe
in unlimited possibilities,
you will discover how wonderfully magnificent
you truly are!

- Elizabeth Hyland, author of "Surviving The Unemployment Roller Coaster" on http://www.theripplesproject.org/

Change is happening all around me. I'm transitioning from cancer patient in active treatment to one who's in remission. (I'm also trying to train my mind to believe this remission will last.) I'm adjusting to a more "normal" lifestyle with work, exercise and social activities. I'm slowly easing back to work, with a few energy-depleting speed bumps along the way. And, as I've written before, I'm trying to adjust to the new work world in which I find myself.

My role and how I work is changing significantly. In some ways, that excites me because I'll be able to do more writing and be more creative. On the other hand, some of the proposed changes make me anxious. I went to a meeting the other day and mentally freaked out after it. I felt overwhelmed and unprepared (and I thought I was alone with those feelings).

After mentally hyperventilating for about 20 minutes, I stopped myself and said, "Tina, you're a smart woman. You've been part of the organization for eight years. You can write. You are capable. Smarten up and see what happens."

So like the quote above says, I'm going to do my best and let it shine through. I'm going dredge up the courage to believe the possibilities will be wonderful. Then I'll wait and see what happens.

Part of my problem is all the responsibilities, processes and changes aren't determined yet. It's a long-term plan, and the leaders promise to listen to concerns and challenges. So that's comforting. And I'm not in this transition alone. Many of my colleagues are in the same boat and I'm sure we'll get help from leadership along the way.

I'm sure my anxiety is high because I'm encountering so many changes at once (and to be honest, it takes me a little while to mentally adjust).

Alf - I know I told you I wouldn't blog about the meeting the other day, but I couldn't resist. It's part of who I am and what I'm experiencing right now.

So I'll strap on my life vest and proceed on the journey. I'm sure the water will rock the boat and spill over the side sometimes, but hopefully I'll also experience some smooth sailing along the way. Whatever this trip brings, I'm sure it'll be an adventure.


Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment