Friday, October 21, 2011

Frustrated rant

I haven't felt completely well since mid-June and it's starting to wear on me. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Dragging a drainage tube around with me everywhere I go is a drag. I'm starting to hate that Michael needs to change the dressings around the tube and wounds after I shower every day. The tape pulls at my skin and irritates the areas it covers, leaving them red and sore.

Since this is my fourth major abdominal surgery (two C sections and two vertical incisions), it's going to take longer for me to heal, but I'm unrealistically impatient. I despise the tiredness and the lack of stamina. I hate when I get sore and I can't even put the footrest down on my recliner chair due to my sliced up abdominal muscles. I loathe the pain that leaves me rooted to the recliner, unable to help around the house. Sometimes I feel useless, unable to perform the simple jobs I used to do.

But I don't see my situation changing any time soon. I still have to heal. And when I start treatment - whether it's the Regorafinib or chemotherapy - it's going to take a while for the drug(s) to work to dry up the ascities so I can get rid of the drainage tube. Both treatments also have their own set of side effects with which I'll have to deal.

I even dislike the PICC line - the very one I was so excited to have inserted in the hospital. I can't get it wet. It itches like crazy under the bandages and tape. It sometimes still hurts. And I have to be careful not to catch it on anything. I know it has and will continue to make my life easier for blood draws and inserting drugs, but I've had enough of having extra devices in my body.

I know I'm grumpy today. I've been feeling discombobulated for a couple of days. I just want to feel well, and I have no idea if or when that will happen to me again. I'm frustrated and on a little rant.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Tina

3 comments:

  1. YAY RANT! Ranting is good! Getting angry and upset is good! It means you've still got that FIRE inside you to FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT! YEAH! GET MAD! KICK STUFF! WHOOOOOOOO!!!! Then picture yourself being a boxer and PUMMELING the Cancer! Take that! UH! UH!
    <3 You

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina,
    Rant away - you have a lot to deal with right now! We'll listen anytime....
    Good and healing thoughts being sent your way (and to your mom too - hope she is doing well).

    Hang in there!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tina,
    You go girl--RANT AWAY!! Climbing the mountain is hard work--but you can DO IT!!

    ReplyDelete