Sunday, October 9, 2011

So flavourful

It was the most flavourful chicken broth I've ever tasted. An explosion of tasteful bubbles filled my mouth from a ginger ale. I sipped super orangy orange juice. I can't believe how flavourful foods are when you've only tasted ice chips for 10 days.

My doc came in mid-morning and said I could drink today. I was so excited, yet nervous. The nurse quickly brought me a diet ginger ale and I took some tentative sips of the very tasty liquid. At lunch, the nurses and my sister diligently watched the tray delivery to ensure I got one with clear liquids. Then I feasted (and that's what it felt like) on chicken broth, a few scoops of cherry jello and some orange juice.

After that exciting, but small meal, I was full. I'm sure my stomach has shrunk considerably over the past week and a half. And I'm cautiously taking it slow. It's better to consume small amounts and let my body get used to it than to watch them come back up. In addition, it feels weird to actually have food in my belly again.

Of course, I'm monitoring how I feel. I notice every little growl, burp and twinge because it could be a sign I'm not tolerating the liquids well. But my stomach felt okay this afternoon; different, but not necessarily in a bad way.

I even had another cup of chicken broth and the full jello for dinner. I'm also sipping a punch of orange juice and ginger ale. Of course, I have to keep putting ice in it because it warms up over time. I'm not quite up to guzzling anything yet. Small swallows are all I can do, and one can of pop is lasting me all day.

I'll see what the breakfast tray brings in the morning. Perhaps I'll move on to soft foods tomorrow. Despite this giant step forward, I'm not anticipating when I'll go home. I am taking it one day - or maybe that should now be one meal - at a time.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment