Tuesday, October 11, 2011

One more day

If all goes well today, I go home tomorrow!

The doc I saw yesterday, when he progressed me from liquids to solids, talked about me going home today. When he said that, my heart leaped into my throat. It felt too quick after reintroducing food. I felt as if he were tossing me out without really knowing if all was functioning properly.

But I got a new doctor this week (I think when you come in via Emergency into general surgery, the lead doctor rotates every week). The new doctor actually talked and listened to me this morning. I said I felt very full, uncomfortably so, from eating, which concerned me. She said that's normal because my stomach shrunk, as long as I was passing gas.

She's going to get rid of the TPN today, which is also suppressing my hunger. So hopefully that will reduce the feelings of fullness and encourage my hunger to return. When I lose that line, I think I'll be free of all my IVs. And if they remove one of the drains today, I'll be down to only one drain to cart around. I'll go home with that one drain, which will probably stay in until the ascities production stops with cancer treatment. The rest of my staples also come out today.

While it would be great to go home and sleep in my own bed tonight, I feel more comfortable with the plan to keep me one more day. That way we can be sure all is working properly.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! That is GREAT news! Glad you are feeling better...
    Take care,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete