Thursday, March 25, 2010

The hell of chemotherapy

I wouldn't wish chemotherapy and its horrible side effects on my worst enemy. So it was really hard yesterday to learn my mom needs this cancer-killing medicine. While we knew chemo was a possibility, I secretly hoped the surgery would suffice and her ureter cancer would be eradicated.

My mom saw the general oncologist yesterday. Since ureter cancer is so rare, oncologists don't specialize in this field. Dr. P said that while her cancer was still locally contained, it had invaded the muscular wall of the ureter and some cells were found in her blood. So chemotherapy is the next plan of attack.

Her course of treatment will be different than mine. She'll receive two forms of chemotherapy one week, another type the next week and then have a week off. But the first treatment will combine all three types of chemo to shock those nasty cancer cells. She's scheduled to receive six cycles (just like me) so her treatment should end at the end of August.

She'll lose her hair. She'll need to be careful of infections and exposure to germs. She'll probably crave carbs. And while many of her side effects will be the same as mine, her experience will also be different.

Her first treatment is on April 14, my sister's birthday. Poor Angie. She got news of my diagnosis the day before her birthday last year and she's going to head to the chemo suite with my mom on her birthday this year. One year soon, we deserve no bad news and a really good party instead.

While I cry at what my mom will have to go through to get better, I know she's a strong fighter and will get through. I just wish she didn't have to do it at all.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment