Tuesday, March 9, 2010

To good health

I believe in traditional medicine. I get my flu shot every year, I think medicine (used properly) has been highly researched and proven effective, and I obviously think surgery and chemotherapy can be an effective treatment for cancer. But that's not to say I don't believe other forms of medicine and treatment can't help traditional medicine. That's why I went to see a naturopathic doctor last week.

I have to admit, I was a bit nervous because I knew she was going to comment on my diet, my love of Diet Coke and suggest actions I wasn't sure I could follow. I also thought she'd pooh pooh my belief in traditional medicine. But I also knew listening to her couldn't hurt.

Dr. P was very nice. She took a complete medical history, examined me in very traditional ways (ears, eyes, throat, weight, blood pressure, etc.) and ran about seven different tests on my pee. We talked cancer, medical history, diet, exercise, mental health, bowel movements and general well-being. She was very through, which I appreciate.

She made several suggestions and now I have to determine if they're right for me and if I can live with them. She wants me to give up my beloved coffee and Diet Coke. I'm not sure she understands that a "nice cup of herbal tea" won't provide me with the same satisfaction each morning. I don't eagerly anticipate a cup of tea. Coffee is my friend. Coffee is comfort. Coffee is my jolt of java. I may cut down but I don't think I can (or even want) to cut it out of my life. But perhaps I'll cut down a bit.

She is also suggesting I give up wheat. Argh! I have no digestive issues, but she says they convert to simple sugars (which cancer likes) and they block some organ. My sister, with her PhD in nutrition snorted in disgust when I told her this news and its reasoning. So I'm a bit torn with that recommendation. I think I may try it for a month just to see how I feel.

I've also got some supplements to help detoxify my body and kick start my metabolism for weight loss. While my sister was skeptical about these, she did say they didn't look dangerous and the only thing I'd be out was some money if they didn't work. Again, I'll probably try them for a month and see what happens.

In the end, I did get a positive outcome from the appointment. Dr. P said she was surprised at my health and test results. As a person who's had cancer, she expected me to have many more health issues. Given that 40 per cent of her practice is cancer patients, her experience led her to believe I'd have additional health concerns. But in the end, she came to the same conclusion as my oncologists - besides that pesky cancer, I'm very healthy. I told her I believe I got cancer because of my BRCA-1 gene mutation and not for any other reason. She even hinted that my overall good health may mean the cancer won't come back. Let's hope she's right.

So, in the end, I think I'll try some of Dr. P's suggestions for a month. What can it hurt? But I'm not even starting until later this month, when I get back from a much-needed vacation (more on that tomorrow).

To your good health and mine,
Tina

1 comment:

  1. you just CAN'T give up coffee!! I just bought you a new coffee cup,, and a big fat anarondack to sit your butt in!! (notice I said the 'chair' was big and fat, not your butt!!) hahah
    xox

    ReplyDelete