Friday, March 5, 2010

It's his birthday!

It's a celebration of the day the love of my life was born. Yup, today is Michael's 47th birthday. And as usual, he doesn't expect any fanfare or excitement. I think it has to do something with the way he was raised.

Being born at the beginning of March can be tough. When he was growing up, this time of year meant the property taxes were due. As a result of the cash-flow issues that created, Michael says he often got an I.O.U. as a birthday present. But that certainly doesn't mean they weren't special or memorable celebrations.

He recalls heading to the Red Barn (you Londoners may recall this place) to get his free birthday hamburger every year with his friend and fellow birthday buddy, Kevin. Despite the only slightly thawed weather, Michael fondly recalls they'd eat their free celebratory meal outside on the picnic tables. Good times.

I met him just after he turned 30, so I missed throwing him that big birthday bash. But I've since discovered that parties aren't always the best way to go. Over the years, we've celebrated the date of his birth in many different ways.

For several years, we headed to Florida where my parents lived for five months of the year, to spend his birthday in sunshine and warmth. One year, we won tickets off the radio to see the Orlando Magic play basketball. On his 40th, Michael, Noah and I visited Mickey Mouse and his pals at the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. Since Michael got an "It's my birthday" pin, everyone wished him a happy birthday. It was pretty special.

Another year, we held a surprise retirement bash for his mom at our house. We got her to the party under the guise of celebrating Michael's birthday. Lots of people came in honour of Jessie, and Michael got lots of birthday wishes to boot.

This year, it's going to be a quiet celebration. I'm working. Tara is in school and Noah is (unfortunately) suspended. While Tara has a play date after school, after it's done, I think we're going to dine at one of Michael's favourite restaurants, Mykonos.

I'm glad I'm here to celebrate that Michael turns another year older. My experience with cancer has taught me the number of candles on the cake and the wrinkles that accompany growing older certainly doesn't matter. Living life and celebrating with those you love, does.

Happy birthday to Michael, the man I love with all my heart. I look forward to growing very old with you and celebrating for years to come.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment