Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Injury and embarassment

Just when I think I'm making progress, I experience a set back. The latest is minor, yet embarassing.

Last Thursday in step class, I was tired. Some days are better than others when it comes to energy levels and exercise. The end of the class was approaching and, despite being tired, I pushed myself towards the finish. But when I get tired, I get clumsy.

Instead of planting my foot flat, I stepped down on the left side of my left foot. Next thing I knew, I was lying flat on the floor to the chorus of collective gasps from other steppers on my side of the gym. When the instructor realized what happened, she rushed over and proceeded to ensure I was okay, insisting I sit against the wall and sending someone for ice - all while her microphone was still active.

I wanted the floor to open up and swallow me then and there.

After the class was complete (I missed five minutes), I had to sit in the gym icing my ankle for 20 minutes while fellow gym rats (many of whom I know) walked by and commented. Yup, I'm the clumsy one. Yes, I hurt myself. No, it's not too bad (I think). How embarassing.

The instructor, for some reason, seemed to feel guilty that I got hurt in her class. Please. It was my own fault and theoretically could have happened to anyone. She even regaled me with a story of how she went flying off the step while she was teaching a class. I guess it can happen to the best of us.

I think I stretched some ligaments. It's still slightly sore, but I can walk. But it's derailed my gym excursions for about a week. Sheesh. But I guess it's better to be on the sidelines for a little while instead of going back to working out too early and injuring myself further.

While a workout injury can happen to anyone, I still feel dumb. Oh well, it's not the first time and it certainly won't be the last.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. OK - at least your embarrassment had a legit reason. I have FARTED SUPER LOUD in a class before. Ric's class, at the Y. YEAH. SO HOT. hahahahahah
    Meh - I'm sure you'll be able to joke about it in a couple days! Especially in your next class! :D
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete