Monday, November 29, 2010

Another visit from Murphy

A couple of week's ago, I blogged about Murphy's law. This weekend, much to my chagrin, Murphy visited me again.

I have a friend named Murph and I'd welcome a visit from her any time. But what I experienced this weekend is not welcome in my house. These types of events cause headaches, expenses, pain or all of the above.

Extreme agitator
Since London began using smart meters on Nov. 1, Michael and I have been saving our laundry for the weekends, when electricity costs less. Smart meters charge electricity at different rates based on the time of day and season. Consumers pay more to use electricity during times of peak usage and less when many people sleep and on weekends. Hence the big piles of laundry I had in my house Saturday morning waiting for the cheapest electricity rate.

We'd completed two or three loads when Michael knelt down in the laundry room to adjust one of the legs and level the washing machine (a common necessity on the old machine). He rose to discover the knee of his jeans was wet (as was the area rug). We wondered if perhaps water escaped from the machine because it was off balance and optimistically started another load. After a few short minutes, we watched water pour from the front corners of the washer and snake across the floor towards the drain.

Given our washing machine was over 20 years old, we knew the amount it would cost to fix it (if even possible) wouldn't be worth it. Heck, the service call alone would be over $50, without the necessary repairs.

Luckily, we'd completed washing and drying all the bedding in the house so we all had fresh, clean sheets on which to sleep. But we needed a washer! I even contemplated bagging up the remaining laundry and carting it over to my mother-in-law's and begging the use of her machine. Instead we went shopping.

Our choice of washing machine came down to price, features and whether we could load it into our van and cart it home right after purchase. Luckily, we found just that. Of course, the removal of the old washer,  which was heavy and the introduction of the new machine, which was even heavier (unbelievably so) was a nerve-wracking experience. It involved removing doors, manipulating stairs, hurt fingers and fears of damaging our floors and/or new appliance. Luckily, my in-laws came over to help.

Now that it's in place, I have to admit I really like it. Being a front loader, it'll end up saving money in water and electricity. Of course,  we didn't need the almost $700 price tag this close to Christmas and while I'm off on disability, but there's nothing we can do but suck it up and carry on. Hopefully, I'll notice those efficiency savings quickly (ha ha).

A poke in the eye
On Sunday morning, Michael and I were feeling the effects of our adventurous Saturday. We decided finishing the laundry and cleaning the mess involved in the machine switch would be the extent of our work. This would give us time to rest and recover.

Yet Murphy decided I needed another affliction to contend with - a poke in the eye. While carrying a load of laundry, I walked into a grapefruit tree branch. Since I sport only very, very short eyelashes, they don't protect my eye very well and the spiky branch scratched my eyeball. I couldn't open my right eye for a good portion of the day because bright sunlight hurts it and makes it water. If I had an eye patch, I could be pirate Tina. Argh!

Today, I can leave my eye open most of the time and it only hurts a little, so that's an improvement. But a stick in the eye reflects the luck I've had lately.

Four-leaf clover turnaround
But my cruddy luck is going to turn around this week. I have faith. Besides, I have some good things planned for this week and I'm going to focus on them:

1. Our hot tub arrives on Thursday! We were supposed to get it last week but the snow storms in the west delayed the truck carrying it from British Columbia for three days. So our delivery was pushed out a week. But it comes this week and we can't wait!

2. My daughter is in a play on Tuesday and I actually have the time to go see it.

3. My sister is taking me to my doctor's appointment in Hamilton on Wednesday. We'll talk on the drive, enjoy lunch and maybe do a little shopping around the required visit with the doc.

4. I have lunch plans with a friend on Friday. Yay me!

5. My extended family Christmas celebration is on Saturday (and I already have the gifts bought). We'll enjoy delicious food, tasty wine and most importantly, good company.

This Monday morning, I'm putting the weekend (and parts of last week) behind me and focusing on the good and exciting events happening over the coming week. Yup, I'm a glass is half full kind of girl this morning and it feels good.

Tina

3 comments:

  1. I've got a bit of good news. London doesn't actually start using the time of use rates until next Spring - http://www.londonhydro.com/smartmeterstimeofuserates/.
    So you don't have to wait until the weekend to try out your new washing machine some more.
    Of course it's probably a good idea to get into the habit of following the new rate schedule now.
    I hope your eye is better by tomorrow night so you can enjoy your daughter's play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jason. That's the great thing about blogging; my misconceptions are corrected. Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina, Your poor eye! That was terrible! I guess the leaky washer could have been worse. Plus, now you have a nice new front loader! I hope you enjoy the upcoming week. It sounds like you have lots to look forward to. Enjoy the new hot tub, your daughter's play and all the rest of the stuff.

    ReplyDelete