Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Newton's first law of motion



It's so hard to get moving again. I'm now a big lump who likes to sit at home, work on my computer and read books. I am the perfect example of Newton's first law of motion.

According to Wikipedia, Sir Issac said, every body remains in a state of rest or uniform motion (constant velocity) unless it is acted upon by an external unbalanced force.

The mass of my body is remaining at rest and I need to exert a force to get my booty movin' and shakin' again.

While I've done a better job of getting things done and being productive over the past few days, I'm still mostly doing so from the comfort of my house, with a few trips here and there (including to Hamilton to see the doc). I'm researching and shopping online, making phone calls and writing. There's nothing necessarily wrong with this, but I'm now almost reluctant to leave the comfort of my slippers behind. I resist going out on weekdays when Michael's at work and the kids are at school. Is that because I value the alone time? But it's getting ridiculous.

I completely understand the once in motion, you stay in motion portion of this law. I remember the days when I'd work, exercise, shop, take care of my kids and socialize without pause. It's easy to keep going to the gym once you're actually going (and feel really good and strong). Gotta love those endorphins.

But it's strange being on the other side of Newton's law. I wasn't this stuck when I had chemo last year. When I do go out and socialize or run some errands, I enjoy myself. But right now, I can practically feel tentacles growing up from my desk chair to hold me here. I hear the alluring cries of the Internet and my books. I continuously think, "maybe tomorrow."

But tomorrow is today. I WILL exert that pressure to move. I'm sure my slippers will still be waiting for me when I return.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. Tina, I totally relate since I am a "home body" myself. Since cancer home feels even better, perhaps it feels extra safe, a refuge I can count on. I think I've felt those same tentacles myself! You'll start moving again when you're ready. It's ok to take it slowly.

    ReplyDelete