Thursday, November 18, 2010

In the right direction

"You have eyelashes!"

Both my sister and the research nurse told me this wonderful news yesterday. When I looked in the mirror and felt my eyelids, I indeed have the beginnings of these wonderful bits of hair. This excites me. It means my body is recovering from the chemo onslaught. My eyelashes join the bits of fuzz that's trying to pass as hair sprouting on the top of my head.

Speaking of recovering, my hemoglobin is finally rising. It increased six points from last week and now sits at 101. While normal is between 120 and 160 in women, at least it's headed in the right direction. I'm opptimistically hoping it'll be hoving around the 115 mark at my next appointment in two weeks.

There's nothing really exciting to report about my appointment yesterday. Because I have this cold, I couldn't determine whether some of the symptoms I've felt over the past week were due to it or the Olaparib. So I was sent on my way with a new supply of the drug and an appointment for Dec. 1.

Dr. H is at a conference so I saw a different doctor (for a whole three minutes). But it was nice to hear another medical professional say how good my response has been to the chemo and Olaparib combination. I always love to hear the treatment is working. It means I'll be around to enjoy yet another day.

It lies before me full of possibilities. I know it's going to be a quieter day than yesterday, which is good because I'm tired, but that doesn't mean I won't be productive or have fun.

What are your possibilities for this November day?

Tina

4 comments:

  1. Tina, Congratulations on your new eyelash growth! Also on the good hemoglobin number! Isn't it great to get good news? I am still waiting for signs of new hair growth anywhere. Not much happening yet. My plans for this November day - heading to the grocery store, which still feels like a major undertaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah yeah yeah!!! What a great day for you yesterday!!
    The possibilities for this day in November include learning how to swim - well, properly. I start my swim training tonight for a half-Ironman. I haven't been in a pool since... I don't know when... so, that's my big challenge for today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy - I know what you mean about grocery shopping being a major task. I went the other day and then felt tired. I felt ridiculous. But I guess that's part of the healing process.

    And about the hair, it's SO slow. But it eventually does come. At first, it's not the greatest hair (baby fine, mine was white), but it gets better. And my eyelashes grew and then broke and then grew again. Oh, and I should warn you that it's typical to get facial fuzz like the wolfman. But it goes away by itself eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The world is your oyster, and you should look at it like that.

    ReplyDelete