Thursday, November 11, 2010

Murphy's law


Someone named Murphy must be sending her luck my way because when I went to Hamilton yesterday, the rib pain that's been plaguing me subsided, with only residual discomfort. When I saw the doctor, I reported my difficult week, with the nausea sitting at the base of my throat and the rib pain, which technically is the stomach area just below my ribs.

He examined me thoroughly and asked a bunch of questions about uneven leg swelling, bowel movements, abdominal discomfort, etc. He and my medically-inclinded sister then bandied about words like blood clots (which he thankfully ruled out), ulcers and residual acid reflux.

He wasn't sure about the source of my pain, but I was told if it returns to call so I could come in right away, while the symptoms are still present.

Even though I didn't walk out of the cancer centre with answers, I did clutch a prescription for a stronger antacid in my hand. This one will help heal my stomach if I do have an ulcer. But, I'm supposed to avoid coffee, tea, chocolate, alcohol and spicy foods. As if. I'm going to see if the medication can work its magic on its own first.

Yesterday, I was surprised to learn my hemoglobin is virtually unchanged. I thought I was starting to feel better, but maybe it's wishful thinking. Dr. H said a slow recovery isn't uncommon after the sixth treatment of the second round of chemotherapy. I think my body did a great job and produced enough hemoglobin so I could get the chemo. Now it knows it's not medically necessary, so it's resting and taking a while to bring the numbers up again. My low hemoglobin explains why I'm tired, breathless, dizzy and cold lately.

The test result that bothered me was my CA-125. It's up a little bit from 53 to 59. No one else seemed worried about the increase and C, my research nurse, said the numbers fluctuate regularly. But it worries me. I want it to go down. I want it to be in the normal range of under 35. I don't like that I may have a "new normal" higher than the usual normal.

I return next week for more pokes and prodding. But that's okay, at least I know my situation is being watched very carefully.

In follow up to yesterday's blog, I took a step up my staircase. When I was done writing, I made a phone call I'd put off, I got out of the house (albeit to go to my regularly scheduled appointment in Hamilton) and I went for a walk in the afternoon. Baby steps, but movement nonetheless.

Today, even though I've succumbed to the cold circulating in my household, I plan to get some computer work done; maybe even some online Christmas shopping. When it warms up this afternoon, I'll head outside for some fresh air and exercise.

Onward and upward,
Tina

2 comments:

  1. Tina, It's frustrating when you leave the doctor without the answers you want, as well as with some answers you just don't like. Try not to worry too much about that C number. I'm glad they are watching things closely. Remember small steps are a better way to start anyway and they still get you to where you want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, one of Murphy's other laws is this: The shortest distance between two points is NEVER a straight line.

    My interpretation of that is the round about way is always the best way. Besides, the scenery is better and you have more time to think.

    Trust me on this one. I'm an expert.

    Love,
    Jodi MURPHY Hodges

    ReplyDelete