Thursday, November 4, 2010

Too much, too soon

I am exhaused.

It's been three and a half weeks since my last chemo treatment and I've been so excited to be done and recovering, I've planned my schedule with activities of a normal life. Now, I'm paying the price.

I want to be out there doing things and living life. I want to be able to buy groceries for my family and cook meals. I get satisfaction from doing some of the chores around the house; like the five loads of laundry I did on Monday. I enjoyed getting out and celebrating spa day with my sister. I don't even mind the trips to Hamilton for check ups. Being able to do these activities makes me feel like I'm moving past treatment.

But it's very tiring. One contributing factor may be my hemoglobin is only 96. (You may recall I needed at least 100 to get chemo.) Low hemoglobin circulates less oxygen through my body, making me tired, breathless with exertion and slightly dizzy. It also can produced headaches and lethargy. I know my HgB levels are on the rise, but hurry up already, I've got things to do.

While I planned to rest today and work on my computer, read a book and perhaps nap, Noah got suspended for the day and I need to supervise him and his work. The poor boy got suspended on his birthday and he was devastated. I'll try to keep it low key for both our sakes.

I saw the doctor yesterday and he's pleased with my progress. He isn't concerned about the area the radiologist measured on my bowel wall. He's happy with how I'm handling Olaparib alone. Things seem to be good. It was an three hour drive for a blood draw and a 15 minute chat.

And for those of you who've asked about my mom, she's doing great. She's had a CT scan post chemo and tests to check her kidney and bladder, and she's all clear. Yay! Her and my dad are packing and planning for a trip to Hawaii in mid November. They were supposed to take this dream trip last year, before her diagnosis. I'm so happy they're able to go this year. Aloha!

As for me, I plan to take it easy. One day, I'll be recovered and able to do all the activities I'd like to do. But for now, I have to let my body get better.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. Tina, This is exactly how I feel! Just finished chemo as well and now I'm trying to do more, but still so tired by the end of the day. (sometimes before it ends!)Glad your mom is doing so well. Did she have cancer as well? Try not to do too much, but enjoy getting back at things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy,

    Congrats on your completion of chemo! One day at a time. It's a motto we both need to follow.

    Yes, my mom had ureter cancer. Treatment was surgery and six rounds of preventative chemotherapy (because the doc thinks it may have been confined to the ureter). Her latest CT and tests have come back clean. Yay!

    Take it easy but enjoy life.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete