Friday, November 4, 2011

All for research

It was, literally, a big cheque and the number on it - $120,600 - was a significant amount. Thanks to the hard work of all those involved in the Run for Ovarian Cancer, that money will support ovarian cancer research in London. Woo hoo!

I attended the cheque presentation/celebratory event last night at the London Regional Cancer Centre. The event left me exhilerated, and a little exhausted. Yet I couldn't fall asleep last night because my mind kept replaying snippets of the evening.

Several run team captains and family members of women with or who succumbed to ovarian cancer attended the event, along with the hardworking members of the organizing committee, the generous sponsors, the brilliant doctors and researchers and gracious representatives from the London Health Sciences Foundation.

I gave a little speech to the group about my experience with ovarian cancer and the clinical trials with which I've been involved. I also shared my story with two reporters covering the event. Apparently, many women don't want to talk about their journey with this cancer, but I welcome any opportunity to share if it means better awareness or more research. Unlike some other cancers that have lots of publicity and a famous spokesperson, ovarian cancer remains in the shadows of the spotlight and therefore doesn't get the same degree of funding or attention. If my incessant little voice can increase the cause's awareness, I'll talk until I'm hoarse. I may not be famous - and I'm a little shy and introverted - but I'll do what I can.

Last night, the attendees had the opportunity to tour the research labs and learn about the exciting work of the scientists. Their focus is treating ovarain cancer, especially in its later stages, which is the state of the disease when many women are diagnosed. I love hearing about the avenues they're exploring and the collaboration with other cancer research. It gives me hope a better solution is around the corner. As a doctor emphasized last night, it's about giving those with ovarian cancer more time to enjoy life. That means success.

Several people told me last night they read my blog and follow my story. I was buoyed by all the support and well wishes. Many also expressed gratitude for sharing my experiences, both via my blog and my little speech.

A researcher shared he gains insight from my blog into what a patient experiences every day when dealing with ovarian cancer and the issues important to her. He gave me an example: If someone could figure out a way to stop ascities production, it would improve quality of life. My reaction was an emphatic, "Yes!" But unfortunately, he isn't aware of any research going on in that area. Yet insights like this can be extremely valuable to those working at the laboratory workbenches.

Last night's celebration made me excited about the 2012 run, it's 10th anniversary. The event's goal is to raise $160,000, to bring the overall total to $1 million for ovarian cancer research. Wow! While this fundraising target is aggressive, it's achievable with hard work and dedication; something those involved and participate in this event have in abundance. Lace up your running shoes and get fundraising early; we've got an exciting goal to reach.

Tina

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE how important you are, and how much of an impact you have, on a community of people. Even people you never knew about.
    I hope that during some of your upcoming "darker" treatment days, you can remember how helpful this blog is, and how important your feelings are to so many, and take some sort of solace in that.
    I feel like maybe I should be part of Team Tina this year! You know... since I'm at least in the same province now! :D

    ReplyDelete