Thursday, March 1, 2012

Complementary therapies

Warning - This is just my opinion and I'm not an expert on any of this information. You may disagree: That's your perogative.

I believe in conventional treatment for my cancer, including various forms of chemotherapy and radiation (if it was an option for me). Since, I've participated in two clinical trials, and am eager to get to the stage where I can be considered for another, I obviously even believe in experimental ways of tackling the tumours.

I'm of the opinion non-traditional therapies can help, but don't believe they can replace the tried-and-true medically backed treatments being used in cancer centres today. I know these methods aren't perfect - including using chemicals to kill the cancer while attacking healthy cells - but they're the best we have right now after years and years of continuing research.

But I do believe complementary therapies can help, especially psychologically, if not physically. I enjoy my therapeutic massages and know they can get my blood moving to flush out my lymphatic system. I also greatly enjoy these body rubs because they make me feel better, and I'm sure they get some endorphins kavorting through my system. That's all good.

I've also been attending reiki sessions at the Wellspring Cancer Support Network. According to Wikipedia, Reiki is is a spiritual practice developed in 1922 by Japanese Buddhist Mikao Usui, which since has been adapted by various teachers of varying traditions. It uses a technique commonly called palm healing or hands on healing as a form of complementary therapy and is sometimes classified as oriental medicine by some professional medical bodies.Through the use of this technique, practitioners believe they are transferring universal energy (i.e., reiki) in the form of ki through the palms, which allows for self-healing and a state of equilibrium.

I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to practices such as reiki, but I've gone to sessions and felt the extreme warmth from the energy from the practitioner's hands during his touch. I've gone in with a headache and it's been gone afterwards. I've felt better after the session than before. So I go in with an open mind and accept whatever happens. Then I make my next monthly appointment because even if I'm getting benefits from simply lying still and breathing, it can't hurt.

I also believe some foods in a person's diet can help prevent cancer or its regrowth. Studies have proven items such as: dark chocolate, green tea, red wine, soy, broccoli, grapes, tumeric, tomato-based products, garlic, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, walnuts, cranberries, foods high in omega-3, citrus fruit, ginger, etc. can help prevent cancer. I do believe if you follow a balanced, generally good diet in life, you can boost your immune system and be stronger, and perhaps avoid getting cancer or help you fight it.

But I have problems with alternative therapies when they're meant to be the sole way of tackling cancer. I have issues with those who tout you can cure cancer solely with diet. There are lots of different schools of thoughts on the "right" diet for a cancer patient. I have problems believing a vegetarian, macrobiotic, juicing, alkaline, non-diary, raw-food or organic diet will cure cancer.

I also am not sure I follow the theory a person's diet is the sole cause of cancer. I think other external environmental or genetic factors are also necessary. My love of Diet Coke, red meat and sugary foods did not cause my disease, nor does it keep it from reoccuring. I have a defective gene. Other people are exposed to various toxins and cancer-causing elements that start the proliferation of mutant cells in their bodies.

While I'm expounding on my beliefs, I also don't think the drug companies have developed a cure and are withholding it from the masses because it will eat into the huge profits they obtain creating the current chemotherapies. I don't believe that secret could stay hidden. Individuals aware of the cure would eventually have someone they love with cancer and use it to help them beat it. People outside the inner knowledge circle would become aware and the secret would come out. Individuals aren't good at staying silent. Nothing travels quicker than a good secret or gossip. Let's face it, if there was a secret cure, wouldn't Steve Jobs have been one of the ideal candidates?

I'm not sure executives at drug companies could be so cruel to withhold a cure from the millions and millions of people afflicted by this disease every day. I find it hard to believe they're all heartless bastards that only care about the almighty dollar.

I know, I'm very opinionated today - and lots of you may not agree with me. But that's okay. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs and, especially when afflicted with cancer, their way of dealing with and treating it. Individuals need to do their research and follow what they feel is right for their situation, regardless of what others around them believe. Those around them need to be supportive. That means offering opinions, but not forcing them on cancer patients, because it's their lives.

About a year ago, one of my ovarian cancer friends decided to give up on the traditional chemotherapy because they were affecting her health and go with a diet option as her sole treatment. While I didn't agree, I supported her and cheered when the changes made her feel better. Unfortunately, she died a few months later (ironically craving a cheeseburger she no longer had the stomach to eat). She may have died at that time anyway, regardless of treatment option she chose and I don't blame her death on her choice. She did what she believed was right for her at the time. Every cancer patient should have the right to make those decisions.

My blog only mentions two rather tame complementary therapies - massage and reiki - but there are dozens (if not hundreds) out there individuals are trying every day, including hormones, coffee enemas, herbal treatments, drugs designed for different purposes, mind-body methods, etc. You never know what I'll be offered and try in the future.

The bottom line is, I currently believe in the traditional and research methods out there for tackling this horrible disease. So I plan my trek back to the cancer centre next week to meet with Dr. W. to try another form of chemo to shrink my cancer cells. And if that doesn't work, I'll ask for another one . . . and another . . . and another.

In the meantime, I'll continue going for my wonderful massages and body-calming reiki treatments, and try to eat well; especially that dark chocolate.

Tina

2 comments:

  1. Tina,
    Thank you for sharing your opinions. I agree with your positions. I also agree every person must choose what they feel is the best path for them to take regarding treatment. As long as it's reasonable of course. Non-traditional treatment choices are out there and a person must be extra wary when going that route, but who am I to say what might work for someone? I definitely like the massage therapy. I love massages. Good luck next week on your trek back to try another form of chemo. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before I got cancer I thought I would be an alternative therapy purist. However, when i got my diagnosis I had no doubt that traditional surgery and chemotherapy WITH complementary therapies was the route for me. I had used Reiki for years and continued with it; I was very aware of my diet and incorporated those foods with high nutrients and low artificial or no additives; I continued to use massage and trigger point therapy; and incorporated Qigong. Did these "cure" my cancer? All I know is that they were the right choices for ME and I felt in control of my body plus I believed in chemotherapy and traditional medicine.
    If diet alone was the cure and preventive of cancer, we would all be doing it. Unfortunately that is just not the case.
    My prayers are with you as you seek a new form of chemo. Your attitude and spirit has so much to do with how your body reacts to it, or anything else. I invite you to follow my blog: www.outshineovariancancer.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete