Thursday, March 22, 2012

Good reminders

Yesterday, I had an encounter with a generous and kind person who reminded me of three essential lessons I've learned along my cancer journey. They're too important not to share with you again today:

People are generous
I'm continually blown away by the kindness of people in my life. I've blogged on numerous occasions about all the wonderful things those around me have done. I experienced another such act of generosity yesterday when I went to a business. I haven't known this proprietor long, but he wouldn't let me pay for the services he provided. He said that's the last thing I need to worry about when I'm fighting cancer. I was stunned because as an owner, he relies on the business from others (not that my bill was hundreds of dollars or anything). But I was surprised and touched by his incredible, out-of-the-blue act of magnanimity.

Talk, talk, talk
We all need those special people in our lives with whom we can talk. We all have stress, things that drive us crazy, experiences that make us sad/happy/angry/frustrated/ excited that we need to share. Keeping things bottled up, especially if the encounter is negative, is no good for us and can have a detrimental effect on our health. While it's fun and bonding to share good experiences.

I'm lucky to have lots of people in my life with whom I can talk - both personal and professional. It's very important for me to talk about my cancer experience, share my feelings and lament my unfair situation. Now, that's not to say I can talk with the same amount of candor with everyone, but I do have a few close people in my life to whom I can say just about anything. They don't judge. They listen. They offer interesting feedback for me to contemplate.

Yesterday, I was reminded how lucky I am to have all those compassionate, listening ears at my disposal.

A matter of balance
One of the most important lessons I've gleaned over the past couple of years is the importance of balance in my life. While it can be extremely difficult to achieve, with the pressures of work, kids and other responsibilities, it's important to be able to say, "No." It's essential to create me time and we time, and not get tied up in the shoulds. If you need/want to go to the gym, take a cooking class, go on a vacation, carve out the time you need to do it. Make it a priority. Life is too short to say, "I wish I would have . . . "

I'm not perfect at my balancing act because I'm a A-type personality, but I'm far better at letting go and focusing on the people and things that are important. I'm better at letting go of the things that really don't matter. I'm a work in progress with my creating balance in my life - and that's the best any of us can be.

Tina

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Tina for reminding me of all the good people amd positive things in my life. You are awesome!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your last three blogs I congratulate you on your spirit of meeting each new challenge; your perseverance; and willingness to work on a life lesson of becoming more balanced. This is a lesson we all need to learn. The words "should", "could have" and "would" need to be thought of as swear words...eliminate them from our vocabulary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good reminders Tina - Thank you! Hope you are feeling ok today.....

    ReplyDelete