Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Making a difference

"As a cancer survivor, do you now feel you have to achieve something extraordinary? Do you feel like you now have some greater purpose or goal you need to fulfill?"

The faciliator of my cancer survivor group asked that question on Monday night. It caused the group to pause and reflect on the answer. Some members seemed stumped by the questions, while others nodded their heads.

My first thought was, "What great achievement could I now accomplish? What beneficial act could I do to make a difference?"

Then I stopped and reminded myself that I'm making a difference simply by being alive, making memories with my friends and family, being a good mom to my kids and enjoying each day God's given me.

Sure, I'd like to write a book (and maybe I will). Yes, I'd love to make a big difference in the world through some benevolent act or discovery. But achieving those goals won't make my life more fulfilled or worthy.

Living each days is a recurring theme among the cancer survivors in our group. We all consider each day a gift and celebrate the small things in life.

I often reflect on the simple joys of life, like the sun shining, the birds singing, a small hand that slips into mine while strolling down the street, the peals of laughter from my children, the cold of my dog's nose as it nuzzles my hand, a warm muffin, a colourful bunch of flowers or the first sip of a freshly brewed cup of coffee.

But some days, I wonder if I'm living life to the fullest. I get grouchy. Sometimes I'm tired and short with others. Other times I'm depressed or worried. There are days when I don't do anything special. I go to work, make meals, communicate with teachers, go to the gym, watch some TV and go to bed. It's just an ordinary day.

But that's life - and I enjoy my life, in all it's mundance normalcy. Yet, the little things we do in everyday life can make a difference.

I share what my cancer journey has taught me, which may help, change or improve the outlook or experience of others. I raise funds for ovarian cancer research and that extra $1 may just be the one that creates a breakthrough discovery. I teach my son how to work through a difficult situation, which may give him the skills to be more successful in life. I give instruction to my daughter how to be a good friend or lend a listening ear to my husband as he vents about work.

I make a difference to someone every day. We all do. As humans, we're all interconnected and our lives do make a difference. We don't have to be or do something extraordinary to make an extraordinary difference.

I often write notes to my kids as I send them to school: Be the best you that you can be. That alone can make a difference in this world.

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment