Thursday, April 8, 2010

Born NOT to run

I hate running. Part of the reason may be that I'm terrible at it. When I run, I feel like an elephant. Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump.

I'm not elegant and graceful, like some of the runners I see. One of my friends looks like an antelope when he runs. He practically glides, with long strides and graceful follow through. It looks effortless. When I see folks like that, I think to myself, yeah, I should run too.

But when I partake in the activity, it's a jarring, thudding, less-than-graceful exercise.

To top it off, my endurance dropped significantly during my 10-month hiatus. Before my diagnosis, I was training for a tri-triathalon. I could run 2.5 km without stopping (yes, I am well aware that is not far for real runners, but for me it was awesome) and without the ragged breath I now get when running for just a few minutes.

I ran on Tuesday. It was my first foray outside since last April. Up until then, I'd used the treadmill for my few attempts at running since December, which I find easier. I thought I'd start small - run 3 and walk 1.

I'm surprised cars didn't stop to make sure I was okay. After the first few three-minute runs, I was sweating profusely, I drew breath in gasps and I'm sure my face was screwed up in pain.

I'd forgotten my iPod so my music was my ragged breath and the thump, thump, thump of my shoes striking the sidewalk. I think I also kept tempo with the, "I hate running. I hate running. This really sucks. I hate running" ditty circling in my head.

Admittedly, I'm not built like a runner, nor will I ever be. I don't have a long, wirey frame. I'm built more like a linebacker - stocky, strong, with large muscles. Then I've also got the beautiful apple shape, since I carry my extra weight around my middle. I'm also fairly well enodowed, which adds extra resistence, so a good sports bra is essential.

But I try. Currently, I'm training (if you want to call it that) for the Run for Ovarian Cancer. It's in five and a half weeks and I suck at running. I guess I'll do my best. I'll probably end up running, walking and talking.

The most important part of the run is the fundraising. Every dollar raised supports a researcher in London who is working to find ways to detect and treat ovarian cancer. It's a cause near and dear to my heart (and other body parts).

Join me for the run on May 16. Or sponsor any member of Team Tina. London Life matches the donations the team raises, up to $6,000. That's amazing! Team Tina could contribute $12,000 to find ways to beat this horrific disease. We want to take advantage of this matching, so we need to raise the $6,000. Help us.

In the meantime, I'll continue to thump, thump, thump my way through training. Perhaps I'll change my running manta to, "we'll beat ovarian cancer."

Tina

1 comment:

  1. REMEMBER!! bring your runners tomorrow... we'll THUMP THUMP THUMP together. (ok, we'll probably run 3, walk 1, run 2, walk 15) hahah...!!

    ReplyDelete